Dunny holding tanks, do they need

KM...

Dunny holding tanks, do they need a vent?

I currently don't have one and are wondering if I should fit one. Knot too tricky to do but I would prefer knot too.

Damn, I should have plumbed it into the stove. Might have to boil up 1000lts of water the day after a good vindaloo though.

Good point Lateral. We do plan to use it and don't want to explode it, so good points all round.

A vent will go in.

Did you ever see the episode of Mr Bean painting his living room with the giant Firecracker?? Now think about the insides of your boat a lovely shade of..... Holding tank contents.
Vicki has a great story in her blog this month of a charter boat in the sounds having a holding tank blockage. Two charter people came out to clear it for the holiday makers and proceeded to pump air into the airvent with the idea of pressurizing the holding tank and blowing the blockage out the outlet hose through the Through hull. As the pressure built and the pump became harder to pump, one of the guys looked at the other, said "what now" and the hose promptly blew off the holding tank, of which the guy was standing directly in front of and the jet of contents completely covered him from head to foot.

I'm not planning on holding anything in the tank for very long and will pump thru some of that 'anti stink break down ya poohs faster' stuff.

Sorry if I got a bit technical there :)

I find having an access port to the holding tank so I can give it a good flush with a strong hose jet great so it can dislodge some of the gunk that accumulates and doesn't necessarily flow through by itself - makes it a lot easier to keep the inside of the tank clean in what is often an area that is easy to forget about until you have a big problem at the wrong time !

KM, I seem to remember that you have one of those Carbon inline odour control thingies in the store room down stairs. As you walk in, it was on the left top shelf if I remember correctly.
I have no idea how long the things last, but hey, if you have one, you may as well use it.

Access to the tank is essential. Even toilet paper can block them. Just a hose port isn't enough. But then making that opening port smell proof is another challenge. 

I have my vent just below waterline so that accept for flushing it can't be smelt.

But very hard to get the perfect system aboard.

You can vent them out below waterline? Shite, is there that sort of pressure build up potential it can vent out down there.

I can pop the top off but do have a smaller less major entry point I can put a hose into if required.

Hi Tim C

I am interested how a below vent works.

I have an above waterline holding tank, empties by gravity when I open the sea cock.

I also have a valve on the tanks vent pipe and can put a little pressure in the tank to dislodge minor paper blockages.

The tank will not empty very well if the vent valve is closed. 

I would think that when you empty your tank, if the vent is underwater, it would suck the water up the vent back into the tank ? 

Like the vent and pressure build comment Strath.

I was thinking the same but maybe I was looking at potentially too much pressure so when I vent it I'll also valve it.

Why have a tank ?? is it illegal to use a bucket n chuck it?so whats the difference between a mashing and chucking?

The law says you must do, yes in some situations, not much.

I put it in to save getting nagged by bureaucracy. To be honest more concerned with Aussie bureaucracy as they do check rather than NZ's who don't. 

I have my vent just below waterline so that accept for flushing it can't be smelt.

No you cannot, Must not,  have a vent below water line. Are you talking about the main outlet, which is fine below waterline. An air vent is just that. It vents air, it stops Pressure AND Vacuum buildup inside the tank. In larger tanks, the Air flow can stop the masty smells form being produced.

It is even possible that an air vent below waterline could siphon back and fill the Tank and Toilet and then overflow in any situation where the Toilet is below waterline.

I put a vent just below the gunwale never smelled it vent very important especially it you have a gravity dump system we also pump a bit af fresh water and chemical toilet solution into the tank when leaving the boat and have had no problems in 4 years