How to-Great Mercury Island

Before I tow my boat back to the compound, I may aswell take the opportunity to venture elsewhere, I have Great Mercury Island in my sights.

Can you share some local knowledge on the place? Any must do's or must do nots? Is it all private land? Anchorages, fishing spots, dive spots?

The plan is to launch at Koutuna ramp, head over and spend 3 nights exploring fishing and diving.

Fantastically beautiful spot.

Private island but you can land/walk over it bar the forestry areas. Southern beaches are amazing with crystal clear water and sand so clean it squeaks. Peachgrove is the largest bay there and has a walk up to a waterfall and swimming hole. But there are 10 others all pristine.

The main western bay is large and has the harbour at northern end along with another Cove like bay. Scallops there.

The harbour is shallow from half way up with a few nasty rocks but you don't have to go far up it to get shelter. Beautiful houses.

On the north eastern side is a large bay with a rock in the entrance but safe inside. Very safe in south and westerly winds but takes some getting to

Somewhere you just have to go and will love. Whitianga only 14 miles away

As Sundreamer says, privately owned but owners kindly allow us to wander around the farm. The Cove is sheltered in most conditions. The bay mentioned is Coralie and very pretty.

Consider launching at Whitianga as Kuaotunu can be lumpy at times and you might have fun getting out again. The people at Whitianga Marina are pretty helpful, give them a call and check re casual launching and vehicle storage etc.

Consider launching at Whitianga as Kuaotunu can be lumpy at times and you might have fun getting out again

Absolutely, Kuaotuna is only really suitable for small fizz boats. Whitianga is accessible in all conditions and not that far away. Plus you get to take in some cool spots on the way there and back. It's not a lot further

Some great fishing around the other Mercury Islands and check out Korapuki with it's hidden cove accessible through a cave,

Peachgrove and coralie bay are my favourites, good snorkelling/spearing at both. If you are into spearfishing never fail rock is a good spot but can have lots of current. I haven't had much luck at the sisters.

You'll love it. The mercs are amazing. Also the mount yacht club is doing a regatta there on labour weekend that is always a blast if you want to have some good company. It's one of the highlights of the year for me and what originally hooked me into sailing.

HaHa " Sundreamer" the bay with the rock. Yep left Tauranga 10.00pm with owner,left me to it to find my way out of harbour,5.00am quick squizz of chart as old man rock approaching fast and passed to seaward side. The owner wakes up as I started the motor takes control passes the beacon wrong side and Bang,did i saying ??just went and made breakfast while he checked for leaks,last time he took the helm until we got to browns island.

Also be aware that during a holiday weekend it turns into a zoo. 

Not to mention when a 20 knot sou'wester kicks up it turns into a zoo on 'roids when everyone comes home at the same time...

Great amusement if you're watching from the sidelines tho.

Thanks Sundreamer, whitianga launching it is! Thanks everyone for all the info. Looking forward to the trip. I'll get heaps of photos and blog about it. Going to cross fingers for suitable spring time weather!

• Upvote 1