Marine toilets

any that I have bought new , even the cheapest ones on special have been fine,  any I have bought second hand have been a waste of time and money. At the moment I have the type that uses a bilge pump with a sealed toilet lid to create suction, these are supposed to be the best but the others that I have had seemed to work fine and would be cheaper.  Check the price of spares when considering which to buy also.

my experience is with the two popular ones at the chandlers - TMC and Jabsco.  Having had both the main (bog) standard model of each, my summary would be:

Jabsco, more expensive but seems slightly more robust and easier to work

TMC is cheaper but has a stiffer pump and not quite as nice to use.  Does the job though.

If I were buying again I'd buy the jabsco cos it helps keep the mrs happy.

It is not advisable to use cooking oil as it hardens the rubber seals I always use silicon spray in the bowel and pump it through haven't had any problems in over 5 years of use and we do use the boat . A friend of mine told me to use it he has done it for over 12 years on his boat first 6 years with 3 children still on the same pump only on my second can of spray upside crap doesn't stick to the bowel.

• Upvote 1

I never found Cooking oil as a log term fix. Mineral oil is said to be not good because the seals swell up. I have not tried silicon spray. But because of the issues I have always had with hand pumps, and that my wife hates the idea, I fitted Electric. Yep I realise the small boat and those wanting less weight, less battery size and so on, that is an issue. And electric is noisy and they have a limited life, although we do get many years trouble free from then. I have always wondered about fitting a suction/diaphragm type electric bilge pump to one when the macerator finally fails

The lavac toilets are renowned for being the best manual toilets available, other than the baby blakes. They are almost impossible to block - they'd eat your sandshoes!

No marine toilet is maintenance free though

I've had both lavac and jabsco, lavac way better, jabsco with kids on board = nightmare.  Also the spares kits for them are quite expensive almost better to buy a new toilet, approx $100 more than the big spares kit.  Remember don't over tighten the pump bolts or you will strip them which = toilet fail.  

The older Jabsco model is better and lasts longer than the current one in my opinion.  

I have just refurbished an old Jabsco manual head (pre-1997). It has been reliable for 20+ years. Spare parts for this (and Whale waste pumps) are way cheaper ordered on line from UK. Use Barnacle Buster to remove calcite from head, pumps, pipework and holding tank. (Vinegar or other weak acid might do just as well). 'Flexible' PVC waste pipe can be made temporarily more flexible by soaking in boiling water for a minute or so - makes it easier to fit in tight spaces, onto connecting elbows, etc.

Head now looks and works just like new - happy pooping!