Purchase Anti-foul online from overseas - will it be allowed in by customs?

Anyone know, or anyone tried?

Particular brand is called: Pettit Trinidad SR, basically a cuprous oxide antifoul with PTFE (teflon).  I am pretty sure PTFE is not a banned substance in NZ paints, and I know for sure cuprous oxide isn't.

I know there are strict restrictions on importing 'hazardous substances', but if the paint contains none of the additives banned in NZ, which I don't believe it does, then I shouldn't have an issue - right?

Here's a data sheet: http://www.go2marine.com/docs/mfr/petit/Trinidad-SRproductsheet.pdf

imho

probably ok

be prepared for gst 

no one may want to transport it so you might have to pick it up from wiri?

may be a good idea to get the current safety data sheet from the maker's website?

and have look through here 

2. Make sure your product is approved for use in New Zealand

ichtm.gifFind out whether your product is approved  

3. Make sure your product has a current safety data sheet

ichtm.gifRead more about the New Zealand requirements for safety data sheets 

4. Make sure your product is correctly labelled

ichtm.gifRead more about labelling hazardous substances in New Zealand

5. Make sure your product is packaged properly

http://www.epa.govt.nz/hazardous-substances/importing-manufacturing/Pages/default.aspx

Pettit Trinidad SR, used to contain Irgarol as the Biocide. This has been banned in NZ and many other countries now, hence why the Paint is not sold here. It was a very expensive coating, which could also be why it is not sold here. But it got great reviews years ago.

Pettit Trinidad SR, used to contain Irgarol as the Biocide. This has been banned in NZ and many other countries now, hence why the Paint is not sold here. It was a very expensive coating, which could also be why it is not sold here. But it got great reviews years ago.

Hi Wheels, I don't see Igarol on the safety data sheet where it lists the compounds in it - top of pg 3 on link below

http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare/product_sds/1677-pettit-trinidad-sr-red-a1167706-sds-pdf.pdf

Never heard of this brand for sale in NZ before - and your are right, it consistently gets the best reviews everywhere online on all sailing forums.

Edit: Actually, this 2015 report says "Igarol" is the slime resistant forumla they use, and that is what the "SR" stands for:

Bottom paints containing Irgarol are usually marketed as having a boosting agent that enhances the paint’s protection against algae, soft growth, or “slime,” and are priced around $30 higher than similar formulas without Irgarol. Interlux’s Micron Extra with Biolux, Pettit’s slime-resistant “SR” formulas such as Trinidad SR and Ultima SR-40 (and SR-60), and Blue Water’s Copper Pro “SCX” paints such as Copper Pro SCX67 (hard and ablative) are examples of these paints. In our most recent test involving 55 different paints, nearly one-quarter of them contained Irgarol.

http://www.xssailing.com/news/bottom-paint-makers-face-irgarol-shortage-2/

Actually, you can get Pettit Trinidad with the SR or without.

Maybe I should try import the one without to be safe.

$163 NZD for a gallon (just under 4 litres). Even with customs taxes / GST, that is not bad.

http://1outlets.nz/pettit-paint-co-trinidad-green-sr-quart-1377q-NZD-ccy/sku/1OvziadLcyOgimsQ8c0SeC/

Is that the SR MB? Because there is a Trinidad and Trinidad SR.

Epiglass/International had one that also used irgarol and had the irgarol removed and the result was that it no longer performed as it used to.

There has been a number of Chemicals that have now been banned or about to be banned for use in NZ.
  3(2H)-Isothiazolone,
4,5-dichloro-2-octyl- (DCOIT)
 Chlorothalonil
 Copper (I) oxide
Copper pyrithione
Copper thiocyanate

Dichlofluanid
 Diuron
 Irgarol 1051
 Mancozeb
 Octhilinone
Thiram
Tolyfluanid
 Zinc pyrithione
 Zineb
 Ziram
If you go to this link location, and then to pages 38 to 44, that gives you a lost of AF's that are allowed and those that have 4yrs approval, which I think expires this year, 10yr approval and Banned.
https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwjS55a5y8vWAhVKopQKHeYGC7EQFggrMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.epa.govt.nz%2Fsearch-databases%2FHSNO%2520Application%2520Register%2520Documents%2FAPP201051_APP201051_Decision_Final.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0Z0eqBkVscLxjml3wFGLOa

As I said, this paint was famous overseas many years ago. But I am not sure if that was due to the PTFE or the various biocides used in the stuff. I had never used it, nor in fact even seen it in NZ because the stuff was so seriously expensive back then. And even though it was good, there were just as many OK paints back then at 1/3rd or even a 1/4 of the price. It;s different now that the Biocides are slowly being phased out.
I don't know what the best thinking is. Is it better to keep the Poisons out of the environment completely and have the greater potential of spreading unwanted pests, or to hit the pests and stop the spread, but have toxins in the water column. I have no clue if they have ever been able to measure the toxins in the water or if it has seen to affect life in anyway.

When it hits the NZ border. If it;'s being posted in then the Post Office usually sends a letter to the address on the package with costs and how to pay.  Couriers, like DHL etc, sometimes bring it straight thru without grabbing anything but the Govt has been cracking down on that, it is a naughty.

Or mobs like us who get bigger commercial shipment, when the customs paperwork is done the GST and Duty content is racked up on a Customs account and on the 20th following they reach into our bank accounts and take it.

Thanks for that,so my son has been lucky,buys singular coins then sells them here and the little sh@t(15 yr old) makes about $150/$200 per coin,so its only a matter of time then?Buys 3 or 4 a month been doing it for about 6 months now.

taxpolicy.ird.govt.nz/publications/2015-ip-gst-current-issues

in any form having a fineness of not less than a certain specified percentage (99.5%, 99.9% and 99.0% respectively). A supply of fine metal is generally exempt,

• Upvote 1

There was some of that antifoul vv cheap at the Orams store oversupply from a superyacht recently, and another American brand that is so good the manufacturer is resting behind bars at present . So do you want a clean hull or a green hull?

Myself I stick to No 5 and get 2.5 years out of it -why change?

Or just go to your local based supplier and buy the one can of paint you need. That keeps your life simple and keeps the supplier in business for when you need him next - and keeps the NZ economy working.

Aside from that, this AF is not the same as it used to be. It was great when it had all the active ingredients in it, just like the other similar AF's of this caliber we used to have. But now those ingredients are gone, then I doubt it will be any better than what the other Brands offer now, performance wise.

The question has to be, how hard can it be to determine domestic sources for suitable active ingredients and add them to basic commercial Antifoul yourself. BS laws aside.

Additives that would be easy, but that I wouldn't do, would be lead or tin. Too great a risk to the environment, and yourself as applicator.

I'm sure a judicious study of the newly banned ingredients list, Google search of alternative or common names and a look around non marine supply sources, such as gardening chemicals, automotive painting or such like and you would be able to source some "magic powder" to blend into your standard budget Antifoul.

If you did do that, I probable wouldn't advertise it on an open web forum though...

Adding anything to AF's that have not had approvals, or worse, have already been banned for use in the Marine Environment is the most stupid thing anyone could ever do. And worse, if you were caught, you would have a fine the size of Mt Everest and maybe even Prison.
These additives, or more correctly, these Poisons, have been removed due to the fact that they are showing up in the environment and causing other issues with the environment. These things were added to AF's way back when little thought went into what was added. They may have worked OK in the backyard on Fruit Trees, but dropping them into a Marine environment is a totally different story.
If you think things are getting bad due to removals of ingredients, it is only the beginning. AF's in the current form of a mix of toxin will eventually be phased out. Even Copper itself will likely go eventually. Possibly still years away for NZ, but that depends n what Alternatives are found. And I expect we will see more of the non stick coatings eventually take over.

• Upvote 1