Is there a dinghy that can sail, row and motor?

We’re looking for a sailing dinghy to take offshore cruising - hoping to combine our needs for a tender (to fit 2 adults and a child) with something our 10 yr old daughter can use to sail. She currently sails an optimist dinghy but I don't like our chances of using that as a tender.

We can put it on davits so towing drag isn't an issue.

We’re thinking of a seabird or townson.  Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Hi there was plenty years ago but they seam to have stoped making them I have a 2.7 dingy that sails and motors and row I can't remember the make but is was an Auckland company that manufactured them

What you need is an Eastport nesting pram. Stable, rows and tows well and sails. Check it out on the internet site Chesapeake Light Craft. And guess what, I just happen to have one for sale.

How fast do you want to motor? If just slowly a Jim Young 2.8 stitch & tape would be a good option. If you don't mind spending rather more and want to go faster Russell at OC tenders could build you a sailing version, as he did for Hamish Wilcox

...most of the pram type nesters. 

Mine is 10 foot 6 when assembled. Kept on the aft cabin coach house roof.

I run a 2.5 mercury and it will actually plane with one person . They row beautifully having a bit of a V in the hull and most have a simple un-stayed  gunter rig for sailing . The mast dropping into a support tube in the forwards buoyancy chamber.

Mostly are ply built but my next one will probably be glass, honeycomb panel. 

• Upvote 1

What you need is an Eastport nesting pram. Stable, rows and tows well and sails. Check it out on the internet site Chesapeake Light Craft. And guess what, I just happen to have one for sale.

They look stunning - and I can see yours in the photos, what a great boat, PM me what you're after for it, .  We're still in Wellington so hoping to buy further south but we could always hire a skipper to bring it down for us ;)

How fast do you want to motor? If just slowly a Jim Young 2.8 stitch & tape would be a good option. If you don't mind spending rather more and want to go faster Russell at OC tenders could build you a sailing version, as he did for Hamish Wilcox

Love the sound of them but last week we got the new shaft and prop put in (ie. the budget is now pretty small).

My little light 7fter (there abouts, 6ft 10 maybe) can motor at 5knts with a 2hp Yammy one up. Sails well and as yet undefeated. Rows like a dream. Have had Mum, Dad and 2 kids (of the 6 & 9yo size) in it and motored long distances, up rivers perfectly fine. It has been towed in excess of 12kts and did fine.

I believe it was the plug for a a fleet destined for Pine Harbour.

Once I get the big boat wet again I'm going to make a carbon one. I reckon the pair of oars will weigh more then the dingy.

Sounds ideal.  Let me know if you want to part with it before April/May.

If Claire doesn't take it I might be interested Chris.

Hi

We have used a Seabird 2.8 (or whatever the small on is in length) for about 12 years. We have two adults up in it for rowing and with 2.5HP outboard. Sailing is fine but you get a wet bum from the bilge. Works for us in conjunction with a 3m RIB and 15HP. I would suggest a 3.2 and perhaps a removable inflatable or foam ring for a fender and buoyancy. We keep ours on deck and it's fine to handle on a halyard and winch. Great to have a sail and explore in quiet with no engine.

enjoy.

Hi

We have used a Seabird 2.8 (or whatever the small on is in length) for about 12 years. We have two adults up in it for rowing and with 2.5HP outboard. Sailing is fine but you get a wet bum from the bilge. Works for us in conjunction with a 3m RIB and 15HP. I would suggest a 3.2 and perhaps a removable inflatable or foam ring for a fender and buoyancy. We keep ours on deck and it's fine to handle on a halyard and winch. Great to have a sail and explore in quiet with no engine.

enjoy.

Thanks Elenya, great to hear and thanks for the suggestions.