Warm battery

I have stuffed battery and new one waiting to be picked up ,always switched of when boat is unattended. Solar panels always connected as you would , today it was warm , fluid ok connections s ok , is the old battery not excepting solar charge ,I disconnected the solar panels till new battery’s arrive in case any untoward happens is it normal

Warm batteries are normal when being charged, but over temp will kill them for sure. Max temp for a FLA batt is 50deg c.

Temp is increased with increased voltage. A broken or badly set regulator will cause temp issues, can even boil and destroy a battery. The charging voltage is the key. Check the charging voltage matches exactly the battery manufacturers spec for that model battery. Ensure the electrolyte level is correct, and maintained that way.

Thanks island time from what is said I think the panels were constantly trying to ad power and the old battery not responding , the new battery is awaiting me to get to town to collect , but he’s i remember when I use the power charger the battery is loop warm so would be the same , I disconnected it to be safe

• Just check the charging voltage from the solar regulator in good sunlight. Make certain that the voltage is not over the recommended charging voltage for the model of batteries that you have. If the solar charger has multi stage, it should step back to the recommended float voltage, (say 13.2 or so) if it doesn't step back, and stays at 14.8 or so, then it will kill the batteries - the new ones too! 
  • If its a basic single voltage solar controller, get rid of it and get a proper one, or the new batteries will be killed to.
  • Remember that batteries don't often die, they are murdered!

1 or multiple Batteries Myjane? Do not replace just one if a Bank or more than one. You will boil the new one on it's very first charge. You must replace all within that bank together.

Does the Bank maintain charge? Use a Multimeter and leave the battery over night. (preferably 10hrs at least, 24hrs best.) the Resting voltage needs to be no lower than 12.6V after that time. This is for an old battery that is getting tired, but still usable.

If the resting Voltage is that or above, the issue is likely the Charge Reg. As IT said, measure the Voltage.