Yacht interior design question.

John B

I've been tied up with the classics for many years and one of the big challenges with these old boats is how to layout the interior , given they're so narrow generally.

A mate of mine is restoring an old Logan up at Hobsonville, the C class Wairiki from nineteen hundred and frozen stiff. Cabin and decks are off and new decks and bulkheads going in. Just past the open waka stage.

anyway , here's a photo of the forward bulkhead.

3817332024_6cd32d824c.jpg

My question is , don't you think he should have a rum glass in one of his hands?

My question is , don't you think he should have a rum glass in one of his hands?

Maybe he dropped it when he saw the sheet of ply coming.

Good bit of humour for a Friday, John B.

Did your mate bring it up from christchurch?

he did ,he did. There's a thread on the cya site if you're interested in the work being done.

http://classicyacht.org.nz/forum/viewth ... rowstart=0

Yeah Murky, she'll have ply decks too. most of the restorations have gone that way. for issues of strength and anti-wetness. Iorangi,Thelma ,Rainbow, Rawhiti etc.

:D

Far out I will have a look. My dad bought it in I think 56. Took the gaff off it and put a bermudan rig in. He was only 18 when he bought it. Too scared to tell his folks.

I was born in 58 after mum and dad had been away for the week end. Mum got sick of waiting for me to turn up (not much has changed). Three weeks later they took me away cruising for Xmas. No motor, no fridge.

18 months later Mum was inconsiderate enough to get pregnent with my sister. Dad couldnt affotd two kids and the boat. Bummer.

Far out I will have a look. My dad bought it in I think 56. Took the gaff off it and put a bermudan rig in. He was only 18 when he bought it. Too scared to tell his folks.

I was born in 58 after mum and dad had been away for the week end. Mum got sick of waiting for me to turn up (not much has changed). Three weeks later they took me away cruising for Xmas. No motor, no fridge.

18 months later Mum was inconsiderate enough to get pregnent with my sister. Dad couldnt affotd two kids and the boat. Bummer.

I have a 5 year gap in my database for that period:

Wairiki A-10 Christchurch

G. Dawson (ChCh) 1953/55+?; Neil Beaumont (ChCh) 1960/62; Owen Morgan (ChCh) 1962/64;

SS Oct 1954: Registered with BPCC

SS Dec 1955: Dawson re-rigging her as a sloop.Formerly gaff rigged

SS Apr 1960: Neil Beaumont has bought Wairiki

SS Dec 1962: Owen Morgan has sold Bona back to a previous owner Cliff Beaumont. Owen Morgan has taken over Cliff's Wairiki..

Can you post (or PM me) your father's name etc??

Yeah Gregor Dawson was my dad. Looks like he bought her earlier than I guessed. I suspect he sold her in 1960 but would have to check with Mum.

FYI Bona was owned by my Grandfather John Dawson for a while I think late 40s.

Hamish Dawson

Yeah Gregor Dawson was my dad. Looks like he bought her earlier than I guessed. I suspect he sold her in 1960 but would have to check with Mum.

FYI Bona was owned by my Grandfather John Dawson for a while I think late 40s.

Hamish Dawson

Hey Babe that's brilliant, thanks for that info.

As for Bona, Christchurch info from the 1940's is a bit scarce up here in Auckland and these are the only owners I have from the 1940's upwards so anything you can confirm about John Dawson's ownership would be appreciated.

Bona B-13 Christchurch

(Ex E-5 Auckland, built 1899 by Bailey & Lowe. to Lyttelton c1932/33.)

C.E. McMillan (ChCh) 1936?/38+?; Neil Beaumont (ChCh) 1949+?; H.E. Radley (ChCh) 1953?/54+?; Ron Norris (ChCh) 1959+?; G.& O. Morgan (ChCh) 1960/1962; Cliff Beaumont (ChCh) 1962+?; D.R. Davies (Christchurch) 1970?/73+?

I will have to ask Mum about dates. I know I have a photo at home of Granddad sailing Bona on Lyttelton which Ive always understood was taken in 1948.

Coincidentally the D R Davies who owned her in the 70s is Mums bosses father.

Ive emailed Mum so we will see what she can remember. The photo is about 14'' by 10'' so I will have to have a go at reducing it. It is quite a nice photo.

I see on the CYA site Galatea has been restored in Wellington. John Dawson crewed on her in the tragic 1951? Wellington - Lyttelton race. Spent a week stuck in Kaikoura. I have a photo of the start at home somewhere. (Got packed up when we shifted and I havent come accross it yet). I will try and find that as well.

Talked to Mum last night. She confirmed Dad sold Wairiki to Neil Beaumont in 1960 so I guess that tidys up that.

Re Bona she is going to check with her boss the years his dad D.R Davies owned her.

She is not sure of the years John owned Bona as he had sold her before she met dad however she does still have contacts who might remember so is going to try and find out.

Hope this helps.

April Club Night

Tuesday 13 April 2010 at 6.30pm

A preview of the restoration of 'Wairiki' and an opportunity to view 'Ngataki

You are all warmly welcome to join us and view the restoration of 'Wairiki' and also share the opportunity to see 'Ngataki'.

Venue: 13 Taylors Rd, Morningside

Time: from 6.30pm

The BBQ will be fired up so BYO refreshments and sausages and join us for a special social night to welcome these two beautiful ladies into our fleet!

A warm welcome is extended to all crew.org members and partners

Archived