Boat wifi

How do I get wifi on the boat without having the phone to connect to , for I pad etc

I have a dongle that is linked to my phone data, plug into laptop all go don't know if that helps. Am using it now to send this message.

There are several options, dependent on use. If you want to connect to the marina wifi, for example, or any other wiifi access point, then I'd recommend a Bullet long range antenna  _ fromn about $350

These are a bridge/router/station (optional in config) that will allow connection to a wifi signal from a long way away, and that connection can be used by multiple devices on board with the addition of a standard wifi access point. Common is the boat wifi from a Gofree wifi unit (about $350), connected to a bullet. This is what I have myself, so I can connect from the boat to my house.

Next is the cellular wifi router, which is whats mentioned above. Readily available, cheap (from $50) uses a sim card to connect via cellular to the internet, and share that connection with multiple wifi devices onboard. This one has more range than the previous one, but you pay cellular rates for data, and of course it only works when you have cellular coverage. The wifi hotspot function on your smartphone does the same thing, but some (more expensive) routers have better reception and speed, mostly due to larger antennas.

Then  there are the satellite options - out of most average sailors budgets, if anyone wants to talk about that, give me a call :-) 0221539176

If you have a Spark plan with mobile data already then you can get a Spark MF910 hotspot, about $140, and pay $5.85/month to share your data with it.

It'll take an external aerial input also, but as IT points out, you need cellular coverage.

Vodafone may have a similar product/plan?

If you need sat coverage then there is no cheap option, Iridium probably the best way there still.

If you have a Spark plan with mobile data already then you can get a Spark MF910 hotspot, about $140, and pay $5.85/month to share your data with it.

It'll take an external aerial input also, but as IT points out, you need cellular coverage.

Vodafone may have a similar product/plan?

If you need sat coverage then there is no cheap option, Iridium probably the best way there still.

I'm with 2degrees cost of dongle was $100 with 2.5 g of data NO extra cost as it is linked to my phone and user's my phone plan data. i use a dumb phone DORO so my data is only used on laptop.

Never run out in fact am increasing at an alarming rate.

Might have to watch more movies. ;-)

The spark my920 sounds interesting tell more I am trying to do this with out a phone to connect to Is that possible, my phone is 25 years old same plan all that time with telecom , maby I have to change , ,,,,

I think skinny locks you to a tower. Try taking it elsewhere and the charges change

No the charges don't change you just have to update your location via the web interface. First time I did it I rang them but after that online, no issues.

If you did it all the time it might be an issue hence why I suggested it for Liveaboards.

Just tether or get a second sim card on your plan to chuck in your ipad.  We do both, data costs are dropping all the time, and coverage around the Gulf is pretty good.  You can also get an unlimited data plan on your phone now.  Not sure but I think if you take that sim and chuck it in your ipad you have a pretty good solution.  Means you can do most stuff remotely inc. watching Netflix with no worries about data.  I have this plan on my phone will take the sim out and throw it in the Ipad and see if it works.  

My experience of Spark coverage at Great Barrier is that its worse than useless.  Worse because its so frustrating.

Why a company like that would just hold up its hands and say 'take it Vodafone' is beyond me.

Yep coverage in the Fitzroy area has been bad for years especially when it gets busy, there isn't enough capacity. There doesn't seem to be any appetite to fix it.

Tryphena is good as you can connect to the mainland towers.

Yeah the only way all those 'wealthy boaties,' company directors, professionals (etc including small business owners like me ) with Spark plans they pay for year in year out on multiple devices and landlines and internet connections , can get coverage at Barrier on the annual holiday is to borrow a kids vodafone phone.

Really clever bit of demographic profiling there Spark. You saved some money by giving it up to Vodafone , and you pissed off the people who pay the bills.

Same happened in the Pacific actually, guys like me on Spark  had offers of twenty buck per week  roaming in Tonga and fiji. Took it up after getting the ' welcome to Tonga/ Fiji' text and it only worked a third of the time. 

Vodafone 5 buck roaming worked most of the time.

Note to self : don't take Spark to Barrier , don't take Spark to Fiji. Waste of time.