Fizboats

I was anchored in arkles for a few hours today Tidying up cleaning and just pottering as we do , skiboat raws past towing a kid on a blowup , then a jet ski raws past towing the same , both only meters away , i raw down stairs to save the sausages on the pan , then they turn and head back , Then another one just launched prepares to do the same , , now there’s is three of them all towing there kids ,the boom is going nuts , the sausages had to be turned off so pull pick and moved the water was to lumpy , can’t these tosses learn to go out of the bay and do there towing thing further out , there was another yacht on the other end of arkles anchored ,flopping about , the low speed bouys should be set further out , not 200 mtrs off shore 400 to keep these types out further ,one of these type of boaties in a bay can wreck for all , maby council should sit down and rethink this bouy thing through for all ,great day good wind ,good sail , saussies were ok

We have a simular problem up Tamaki river with the dry stack,5knt zone whats that?? Capt Imadick just puts hammerdown and rolls all the moored vessels,its only time before one of the rowing club skiffs get tipped out. 

Arkles Bay according to GoWhangaparaoa

The calm waters also make it the ideal location for water sports including wakeboarding, water skiing and inflatable toys. The bay has a set of safety buoys that all vessels must be beyond before exceeding speeds of 5knots, another reason making this a safe beach for children. Be aware that these safety buoys are less than 50 meters from the water's edge at low tide so it can get a bit noisy if there are several jet skis and boats in the water

http://www.gowhangaparaoa.co.nz/Whangaparaoa-Beaches/Arkles-Bay.html

Probably not the place to go for a quiet time

I don't stop in Arkles for that very reason Myjane. Little Manly is normally nice and quiet. Breeze was curling in around the corner a bit today, but yeah, if its a weekend or holiday day, don't bother with Arkles.

And while we are at it, whats with people that need to play music loudly at the beach? Was at Tindalls today with the kids and someone had a hip hop party going at the other end of the beach, accept we could hear it clear as a bell at the other end. Its not the hip hop (which I can't stand anyway) that is the problem, its the selfishness of imposing the noise on others. Its becoming moderately common to be sitting at the beach and someone starts up with some blue tooth speakers or something. What ever happened to listening to the waves and the birds?

• Upvote 3

I get pissed off with fizzles coming up the river at speed. Seem to spend all day telling them to slow down. Even when they see you stepping from the dinghy they don't slow down.

Well, you do live next to the five knot sign...

Do you notice waves on a boat as commodious as Black Panther?

I'm with you FISH, have a party but think about everyone else on the water.

I'm lucky that I can avoid going away in the xmas period because i can go away lots of other times. 

So I/we can go to quiet bays, and when I/we want to party, I/we go downstairs, close the hatch (or at least keep the stereo to a level that hurts our ears but no-one elses), and party without the rest of the bay having to listen to us.

The arrogance of arseholes who decide in a crowded bay at xmas (or any other time) that the stereo on the back of the boat after midnight at full bore is fab, are, well, arseholes.

And don't give me the bs that its Xmas holidays - what can u expect???!!!!!

Is that a new excuse for a replacement for common decency?

Slight thread drift.  ;-)

• Upvote 1

There are rules, but they are of little value if they are not policed.  For example, Westhaven will give you tickets for parking, notices for your electrical connection and tell you about all of the stuff you cant do, but they do not police the 5 knot speed in the marina.  Of all the stupid rules they have, the 5 knots, no or minimal wake rule is there for a sound reason.  Case in point yesterday a large launch came in at sufficient speed to have it wake break over the end pontoons where the pole mooring dinghies sit.  And it is not just launches.  We are the last berth on one of the piers and we get to see all of the speeders, launches and yachts.  Admittedly the yachts create less wake, but is still 5 knots, not 7 not 8 or in the case of the idiot yesterday more like 9 or 10.

Add to the list -

motors bubbling away incessantly

generators droning on

and kids squealing

So how load does your new stereo go KM, and how long did you share it with your neighbours this weekend?

I hate it when the kids squeal to, having all that fun playing in the water, learning to sail a dinghy, being active outside. Would be much safer infront of the TV etc etc. Shocking. Should pass a bylaw.

• Upvote 1

We don’t want to get carried away picking about kids having fun , but out on the water , they could move the markers Further away to allow some boats to anchor for a while , maby or as they do in the USA Lane the fiz boats

To solve the problem, why don’t the council designate a small numbers of bays accross the region where it’s OK for waterskiing or jet skis, thus encouraging them to congregate mostly in said few bays.

Oh wait, that’s exactly the case here. Yet others, who can do their activity in any bay, want to use that bay too, then complain when the permitted activity annoys them.

Yes, they need to follow the rules, but sounds like the buoy’s are there to give swimmers some space, not keep power boats 200m away from moored boats, a hundred extra meters or so wouldn’t likely stop the noise, wake or complaining either way.

Arkles Bay according to GoWhangaparaoa

The calm waters also make it the ideal location for water sports including wakeboarding, water skiing and inflatable toys. The bay has a set of safety buoys that all vessels must be beyond before exceeding speeds of 5knots, another reason making this a safe beach for children. Be aware that these safety buoys are less than 50 meters from the water's edge at low tide so it can get a bit noisy if there are several jet skis and boats in the water

http://www.gowhangaparaoa.co.nz/Whangaparaoa-Beaches/Arkles-Bay.html

Probably not the place to go for a quiet time

The 5 knot rules are simple,5 knots when within 200m of the shore or swimmers and 5knots when within 50m of another vessel,seems to me that the council installing these ski lanes etc are breaking there own rules,as for the 50m mark pass another vessel is bloody joke when one looks at the wake that some vessels leave.

Another issue is that fizzboaters who do 'attempt' to follow the rules often go around at 7-10kts instead of 5, making the largest wake possible.... Change reg to "5kts/No Wake" would maybe make it more obvious??

• Upvote 1

Yes the Rayglass boatshare people do not understand that maximum pre planing speed limits their vision from the helm and creates the most wake possible, see it all the time at Westhaven, watching them attempt the fuel jetty is good entertainment for the assembled coffee drinkers as well.