Whangateau / Omaha harbour

If you get some pics km, they can easily be Geo referenced and used as a chart overlay in opencpn....

I decided not today, NE. I'll wait for something with W in it, and yep, go in slow using a fwd scan sonar....

Problem with Whangateau is the lack of good anchoring space.

You can follow the channel by following the line of moorings, but there's not much room left for anchoring except a small area right up at the tip of the spit on the west side - which isn't very sheltered.

Tides aren;t an issue for most of the boats that moor there. The water's really clear and you can see the entrance channel pretty well from deck level.

Entrance is fine unless it's a really good easterly & swell.

Don't cut the corner outside the entrance, there are rocks to the NE of the stbd mark.

Motor up thru the moored boats & take the channel to the south toward the wharf & boat ramp.

I'd anchor just past the moored boats in the gap before the second lot of mooring up by the wharf.

Pretty crowded once you get up there.

Reasonably strong tidal movement, maybe 2 knots?

Holding is good though.

Bottom photo of KM's, bottom right of frame under the strut that holds the wing on is where I mean to anchor.

Much further than that and there's a whole lot more moored boats, & it will shallow up.

I think you'll be ok at 1.8, tricky bit is every tide change you'll swing 180 & fall back the other way in the channel.