In the navy

I saw this today and it Pissed me right off.

Steaming north thru tiri Channel. On the radio I hear "unidentified vessel on my port side, this is the new zealand warship. You are steaming into danger. Identify yourself and turn away or i will take action against you"

So i call up and say.. do you mean me? Im 1nm away from you thats hardly danger. They do not respond, but repeat their demands. Then they start firing flares in my direction.

Again i call them on the radio and ask them to describe the vessel they are talking about. There were 3+ navy vessels and a dozen other boats around.

Eventually i hear on the radio "you are too close and we are opening fire" followed by some heavy gun shots echoing across the water.

Numerous vessels called them on 16 to ask if it was safe to pass or what the deal was, including a dredger trying to get thru the channel. The navy did not respond to a single radio call.

I think its poor form if they cant answer the radio...

I saw this today and it Pissed me right off.

Steaming north thru tiri Channel. On the radio I hear "unidentified vessel on my port side, this is the new zealand warship. You are steaming into danger. Identify yourself and turn away or i will take action against you"

So i call up and say.. do you mean me? Im 1nm away from you thats hardly danger. They do not respond, but repeat their demands. Then they start firing flares in my direction.

Again i call them on the radio and ask them to describe the vessel they are talking about. There were 3+ navy vessels and a dozen other boats around.

Eventually i hear on the radio "you are too close and we are opening fire" followed by some heavy gun shots echoing across the water.

Numerous vessels called them on 16 to ask if it was safe to pass or what the deal was, including a dredger trying to get thru the channel. The navy did not respond to a single radio call.

I think its poor form if they cant answer the radio...

In that situation I think you'd have good grounds to give them some proper verbal abuse over the radio. Its not like they can trace who is saying what, but the bottom line is that is just poor form from the Navy.

They were probably trying to warn Tiri lighthouse it was getting too close to their warship....

Link?

I can't find it on stuff

Found it

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/100891189/navys-worst-day-ever-training-for-maritime-readiness-takes-place-in-north-auckland

So its actually Orentation week for the Navy, where or the young Navy-ites go and do really stupid stuff, like practicing being attacked in a busy shipping channel with lots of pleasure craft around, calling out confusing radio messages and shooting live flares at pretend attacking craft.

What a bunch of f**king idiots.

These guys stooge around Whangaparaoa all year, 12 miles from their Devonport Navy base. Never actually do any proper voyages and spend a lot of time anchored in Stanmore Bay, "on exercise".  Why they can't bugger off to somewhere a little quieter for their O week exercises, or hold them in winter, instead of over one of the busiest weekends in the summer sailing calendar.

Just pop in a request to the National Maritime Coordination Centre (NMCC) for one of the frigates or OPV's to sort them out. There is bound to be a form to fill in for eliminating jet ski's with 45 caliber rounds at 150 m in public water ways. 

OR 

At least an email about the radio behavior ..... 

^

click the green up arrow to the right to agree

the red down arrow to disagree

..................................................................................................................................................................................vvvvv

• Upvote 1