How to dock yer boat

As for all the Launchie bashing don't take it personally. I think it's what we all agreed to.

They call us wind wankers, we call them a lot of other various names, then go over to their boats and drink all their booze and eat all the fish they caught. That was the deal wasn't it?

I don't take it personally having been in both camps and the flappy canvas camp for way way longer I know there are offenders on both sides. Just seems to be the same people banging on about the same stuff day in and day out.

At least my beer is viciously cold now.

Remembering that alot of the Yachties that went to the dark side, now use their said "Wake Makers" or Stink Boats, to start wind bludger races and lay courses too! - Not to mention doing it whilst cooling the beer and carting the BBQ around.

Oh that reminds me - the Single Handed weekend at BBYC is coming up - come see what i mean ;-)

• Upvote 1

Remembering that alot of the Yachties that went to the dark side, now use their said "Wake Makers" or Stink Boats, to start wind bludger races and lay courses too! - Not to mention doing it whilst cooling the beer and carting the BBQ around.

Oh that reminds me - the Single Handed weekend at BBYC is coming up - come see what i mean ;-)

And providing hangovers to make the race home bloody tough too! Top work that man.

My issue over the long weekend was mostly yachts, and proximity of anchoring. One anchored so close in front that his dinghy touched my anchor chain.

Next night, similar issue, but not quite so bad. Wtf is wrong with these people?

Although usually yachts move at anchor in a similar manner, that's not always the case, and I like plenty of room. In the first case, I moved, and had to push the other vessel aside to get my anchor. Skipper did not make an appearance, just a crew member.

+1

Which is why I have deferred my extended summer cruise til Feb when the bays are slightly quieter than the peak-season holiday madness. This weekend was awful for anchoring.

There is a slight leaning of the stack toward the Gin Palaces/Stink Pots/and whatever you want to call them, of skippers that have no clue.This is very simply because, those that started with a Sail Boat, tended to know what they were doing. There are very few skippers of a Sail Boat that simply decided one day to just go buy a yacht. But there are many a skipper that did exactly that re a Power only Vessel. It's very easy to buy a boat in this Country. But there are many very good Powered vessel skippers too.
       It doesn't matter were you are in NZ, there is always going to be dickheads behind the wheel of a Powered Vessel.
There are also plenty behind the Wheel of many Sail powered also. The only reason why we don't have the same issues, is that most yachts don't travel fast enough to pass with concern to others safety.
       I tell ya, it was a real eye opener the first time we ever anchored in a bay with a gazzillion other boaties in Auckland and a hell of an education the year we anchored out at the Barrier.

My issue over the long weekend was mostly yachts, and proximity of anchoring. One anchored so close in front that his dinghy touched my anchor chain.

Next night, similar issue, but not quite so bad. Wtf is wrong with these people?

Although usually yachts move at anchor in a similar manner, that's not always the case, and I like plenty of room. In the first case, I moved, and had to push the other vessel aside to get my anchor. Skipper did not make an appearance, just a crew member.

Yup I saw ya there and totally agree

We parked up early not far from you and later that night every man and his dinghy turned up And filled every available gap to small or not which in that place with a resonable current it just does not work which Led to multiable issues

Well I spent the night in Sullivan’s bay and saw no close parking issues as boats were still coming in at 2.30 in the morning as I got up to the kite pole ring waking me , Saturday afternoon after racing some boats returned to the anchored dingys in Sullivan’s where others had anchored up to them close but it sorted it self out as the breeze started to move in to

As I have stated before I am a launch owning ex-yachty who still enjoys sailing.  I was at Kawau over the long weekend and I am afraid I saw and provided special hand signals to three launches.  One who cut across my bow at almost 20 knots and within about 20m of me and to my starboard side and two others who overtook me in front of the Mansion house at close to 15knots and within 10 to 15 meters.

I also witnessed a yacht going through Westhaven at close to its full motoring speed i.e. definitely not 5 knots and creating a wake.  As per usual no Westhaven staff/boat to be seen.

None of us a perfect, but a little consideration goes along way.

I've never had a launch.

This season was different for us as the first time I thought launchies were more competent and courteous as a group over yachties.

The stuff we witnessed at Barrier in Jan was just beyond belief. I have not seen so much bad anchoring, repeated dragging in 25 or 30 years of cruising this gulf.95% being in yachts ,some of which I'm now told had a total of 30 or 40 metres total tied or shackled off at the bitter end and one of those pissy little anchors the brokers like to see on the fairlead of their nice shiny new boat they're selling.

Newsflash.. you can't anchor a 45 ft boat in 10m out to 17m with 30 or 40 metres in 50 knot gusts and expect it to stay put.

Jesus, I consider myself to be pretty green at sailing but even I know you need more than that. We chucked out 50m of chain on a 25kg bruce in 5m at Whangamumu when the blow come through and gave us 40+ sustained

Jesus, I consider myself to be pretty green at sailing but even I know you need more than that. We chucked out 50m of chain on a 25kg bruce in 5m at Whangamumu when the blow come through and gave us 40+ sustained

Yeah I'm wondering what goes on with the new boats , are they sold with a short chain for weight / cost reasons.  One of the boat topics discussed afterwards  a few times was whether that was the case and whether the brokers should take some responsibilty for selling a new boat to a newbie sailor for 5 or 700 k and which is clearly not set up for the job. Totally minimum standard stuff. To me its like selling a new car with crossply tyes or drum brakes all around, just not acceptable.

We felt really sorry for some of these guys, or started out that way. 12 hours later and 20 or 30 re-anchorings between 3 boats in particular and the whole bay was a collective nervous wreck.

And on top of that , when one of those boats finally lost the whole shebang over the bow either chain and all or because the swivel parted, pretty clearly they did not have a second anchor to go to.

interesting comment about the Barrier.  we were holed up out here for the big blow.  No drifting launches where we were.  Two cats that had problems anchoring and drifting, one late yacht arrival who anchored a bit close to a big Riviera that when the wind shift actually touched them. The Riv was anchored 24 hours before the yacht arrived and tucked itself in!

We were in 5m of water with 50m of chain and a massive Excel anchor knotme kindly sold me last year.  Stuck so well I was worried it wouldnt come back out! 

We didn't move  but I had the horn and spot going several times for sleeping people doing a knot backwards. 2 of those boats 100 % were going to hit us and 2 more were really close and probably would have. The scariest moment was one of the draggers charging 1 or 2 boat lengths in front and across our bow at 5 o dark doing 5 or 6 knots and  with an unknown amount of chain and his anchor streaming back under his boat.

That was a ka mate, ka mate  moment.. I live-I die , I live- I die. Must have just been a lull enough for us to not be on full stretch because I thought he was going to have us for sure. maybe he was going fast enough for his anchor to 'fly'.

And I repeat , these were all yachts. a couple of launches dragged, one aground and one very slowly but they didn't have the whole rest of the bay on watch all night and the next morning watching out for them.

Actually , further to that and kudos to one of the draggers( a competent guy  , in a well known race boat but with only light gear aboard). He just gave up trying to anchor and motored around for 6 or  8 hours give or take. We could trust him.

Every anchorage out this season without fail I watch with interest the steaming forward over the lowering anchor technique quickly followed by the speedy reverse stop.

Is this popular manoeuvre in the auto anchor hand book.

Not nearly as much fun to  watch as the (power)boater that came steaming in to Issy Bay, with the anchor all "set to go".  Amusingly, this meant the anchor smashing the f%$k out of the bow at about 8 knots.  Oh how we laughed!

Possibly a coincidence, but that same boat did not have an anchor light.  Maybe he didn't specify that as an option when he bought the boat last week?

Talking of Izzy Bay avoid anchoring on the starboard side (Motutapu)directly opposite the first bach when entering.

Had to assist and unhook a fouled 60ft launch out of my Zodiac a while ago.

Somebody has abandoned a rather long length of large chain and unknown anchor.