What should I do?

Ok that quite helpful.

It sounds like in all honesty it's time for Mec to call in the contractor's professional indemnity insurance here. The guy has clearly fucked it up from the start and if I was in your position I would have insisted that it be blasted back again and done properly as I would have no faith in the base. Either Mec or the contractor will have some PI coverage that means everyone gets paid and you should get a new propper CC job done with a discount on the original fee and your haulage. 

If Mec is worth their salt that should put this right, If they hesitate I'd be inclined to talk to YOUR insurance agent too about making a claim and letting them fight Mec for you.

And just to show he has a sense of humour. I had told him I would paint the boot stripe while his guy did the hard stuff. But on Monday the contractor said he would do it. So I left it.

On Friday he sent an email offering to have his guy do it for $400.

Sense of Humour? yeah you are going to need to suck a hell of a lot of laughing gas for that one.
Don't feel bad about it. There is a difference between this and your Dad's days. I bet that in the times he didn't get paid, it was because someone was ripping him off, not because he did a bad job. When you pay the money that this kind of job costs, you need the results. And the only results this is going to give you is bad ones.

By the way, Soda blasting should have taken all the old paint and shell fish off. This has not been done properly.

Well Becarra, their reputation is possibly a reasonable incentive to fix it as well.

BP, from what you are saying, the prep was not up to standard, and any painter, amateur or professional, knows that wont work. Your comment around CC over barnacles speaks for itself. Not even an amateur would paint over barnacles. If the CC has been applied over paint, and you have clear other evidence of bad prep (barnacles) then this application is highly likely to cause you issues in the future operation of your boat, i.e. the stuff will likely fall off within the 10 year life (as wheels said).

It sounds like a full strip back and re-prep is the only viable solution. Costs of which should fall to MEC or the applicator. Yes these guys may have PI insurance, my knowledge of that sort of insurance, it is probably cheaper for those guys to sort it themselves.

I will leave how to go about getting that sorted to other posters.

Jesus, Yeah I'd be getting a sit down meeting with Mitch asap and going over point by point the timeline of issues starting with bad prep, Roll out the broken promises, Mention them/you making an insurance claim on their PI and state that the boats not going in until you are happy the job you have 1/2 paid for is done properly.

At this point, I'd also be forming email chains so any phone/in person chat you have follow it up with an email to contractor and Mitch stating what was agreed upon/said.

BP they way you mention the finish,was sprayed??I do not know much about it but the 2 applications I have seen is 3 fast working guys with rollers. I didn't think you could spray it?

I didn't think you could spray this stuff either. probably why their is pin holes in it. You can't use thinners in it, and the stuff is 10% elemental copper powder. Its all you can do to roll it on.

BP, the whole mess needs to be removed and redone professionally.

Mecmarine quoted on a professional CC application with a warranty of some sort surely and you have certainly not received that.

You have paid 7.5k of 15k for a sh*t job and another 6k to the yard that Mecmarine should have paid,correct?

Your tradie dad would never have behaved like Mecmarine so don’t lose any sleep over withholding the balance due until this is sorted to your satisfaction.

Sounds like it's possible but might have some secret sauce to do it:

"The product should always be applied directly after mixing. Do not attempt to apply Coppercoat by brush. For application by roller, short-pile simulated mohair or high quality neoprene foam sleeves should be used (but not light duty cardboard-backed foam rollers). Coppercoat can also be applied by conventional spray – please contact Aquarius Marine Coatings for fuller details"

I made it clear today I was unhappy but it appears I'm being launched in the morning. This one's on their tab and I've been told. I asked about the bottom of the keel which hasn't been touched where she's resting on it. Not going to pay to shift the props so it will get some paint and in she goes.

We applied cc ourselves a few years ago with mec checking the hull after cleaning and before we applied the cc. We spent a week getting all the old antifoul off and they still insisted on a epoxy primer first, the rudders didn’t get cleaned quite as well and cc started to peel off within a year. So preparation needs to be immaculate and they know it and normally insist on it. Waste of time and money to apply it otherwise.

Sounds like you've been fobbed off then, Depending on how you approached it on the phone you may have little room left but to withhold funds, write everything down in an email and state you require a full strip and recoat.

If you can get down there first thing in the morning just prior to going in and take detailed photos of EVERYTHING, If they have done damage you havent seen yet then they will come in handy

BP, maybe going back in the water tomorrow at MEC Marines cost is not a wise choice.

This is a warranty matter now and it is patently evident that the standard of the preparation and application is not to a professional and warrantable standard.

Time to get some legal advice.

Worst case scenario is a couple of days extra on the hard.