What should I do?

He who’s payes the piper gets the tune Don’t pass money till it’s right , and as long as it sits there deduct the hard stand cost , To much of this kind of crap is going on with contractors these days

This sucks. No matter what, it still sucks. It causes so much unwanted stress. BP, I am sure you remember my Mast incident. It took a long time for us to get out of that hole and ruined our boating pleasure for a long time. So I know full well that Sailing folk just don't need this kind of crap.

I am also deeply concerned that there are still contractors that will do such Cowboy jobs because they have been told to. The Second guy should have known that thus was not acceptable work and he should have told this CC supplier that he would not do it unless he did it properly.

The only issue I see you having today is getting the yard to accept to leave it on the hard and charge this mec fellow. It is quite acceptable under the law, but the issue is that firms don't like getting stuck in between arguments and risk carrying a cost also. Plus it is sad that the boat is not back in the water and you enjoying summer on it. As I said, man this sucks.

The problem there is the yard won’t care as until they get paid, the boat is going nowhere. Maybe they will get nervous once the yard fees approach the value of the boat

Conducting dispute action while an old 60’ boat is on the hard is going to be very expensive for someone and without knowing the financial resources of the limited liability company you’re arguing with, experience tells me it’s more likely to end in tears for the owner.

To fix properly it sounds like the job has to be done again, totally, hull stripped, faired and epoxy undercoated, CC applied in strict accordance to the manufacturers specifications.

I’d be surprised if he has indemnity insurance. It’s extremely expensive and excesses and limits are onerous.

I’d put the boat back in the water ASAP and commence a small claims court disput action for the maximum of $15000. Even if he fronts with the money you’re still going to take a hit but every alternative proposed above is going to cost you more

I’d put the boat back in the water ASAP and commence a small claims court disput action for the maximum of $15000. Even if he fronts with the money you’re still going to take a hit but every alternative proposed above is going to cost you more

Will a report from an qualified expert be required for that?

If so perhaps an inspection before relaunching could be an idea?

Will a report from an qualified expert be required for that?

If so perhaps an inspection before relaunching could be an idea?

Yes, get an expert to write a report, that won't take long, and take lots of photos.

Even small claims can take 6 months or more. The first appointment is always pathetically short given the preamble they do and a claim like this will go to more. I'm taking an action over a similar shitty carpark job in Whiti. We applied in October, first hearing December, second March and she's warned that if she can't tell from the pictures by then, she wants to come to Whiti (with registrar and security) to look for herself. Although I think that was mainly to try and convince the contractor to accept our offer of settlement. The stupid prick refused and it drags on...... At least we aren't up for daily hard-stand fees

If MEC's offer of $400 for a complete blast, prime and recoppercoat AND pay for the hardstand I would go with that and pay balance on inspected recoat. But would have to be re-contracted in writing, otherwise I'm with puff & IT.

If MEC wants to license applicators they have to shoulder responsibility for their FU's. If they won't/don't they

they deserve all the bad press that will result.

That the contractor fell on bad health is tough, but doesn't change his obligation to meet owners/MEC's standard.

I like your considerate handling though, you are a good human being.

Been there, done this.

Onsite fisty cuffs, from bad workmanship, doesn't make your day.

Think the $400 offer was just to do the boot stripe.

I feel for BP on this one, and Puff is prob correct, its a bit late but it would pay to talk to some of the Hardstand workers around Auckland as BP is far from alone. Generally the application is not done that badly -its the result after a year that has people questioning the value of CC -particularly if you are not a planing launch and like your yacht to perform.

Everyone I spoke to who has CC was happy with the product. Some are getting spectacular results. My whole issue was an atrocious job with the application and an inadequate attempt at a patch up.

It didn't help that Mitch has moved to the lower south island.

Another reason to launch today was Angela was too scared to have sex in the yard. Thought we might shake the boat off the stands.

Better be careful there big fella, I'm fairly sure seismic events and 'forces of nature' void most warranties...

You wont be able to claim under warranty for the poor CC application if there is an earthquake on your boat  ;-)

I feel your pain BP.  Almost exactly the same thing happened to us with a similar product nearly twenty years ago.  

We'd got all the old antifouling off and spent many hours longboarding the hull getting it as fair as we could.  The guy who sold us the product insisted on applying it as well to "make sure it was done right".  He sprayed on the first coat and we started to get the impression that he hadn't done much spraying before because it was a pretty unusual technique compared to what we'd ever seen before.  It came out grossly orange peeled with major runs everywhere.  

Got a bit worried at that point, but he said he was waiting for it to tack off for the second coat and that the second pass would have it all come out perfectly smooth.  Yeah right.  The second coat just doubled all the imperfections of the first.  I think we got good coverage but as a smooth racing finish I'm not exaggerating when I say it got close to the old textured ceilings type of finish.  

We'd got past the worried stage and were well into aghast.  Not to worry apparently, an hour or so with 300 grit would give us a beautiful burnished copper finish.  Anyone tried sanding epoxy with 300 grit?

Long story but we took it to small claims court and won.  The funniest part of that and probably the weirdest, was that he brought a small half model of a yacht hull about 300mm long to the hearing and told the adjudicator that he thought we were being unreasonable because it had only taken him an evening of sanding to produce the smooth finish on the model!

Our experience with the (similar) product at the time was not good, but I would hope that twenty years of development would vastly improve it but I also think it requires a very skilled applicator.  

Silly thing is there are 3 or 4 boats in our club(fish is one)with CC they applied themselves. Nothing wrong with any of them. In fact I'd be delighted if mine was that good.

I'm past textured ceilings.

Rougher than really coarse harditex.

Yeah, it wasn't at all complicated to apply it with a roller. Got to be done in one go (wet on tacky) but my father and I did our 37 fter fine in a day, including time for lunch and nipping up the road to get a replacement roller (i.e. a bit of shagging around).

It was a case of reading the instructions, thinking about it, making a plan, executing the plan. Not complicated.