Have your say on the America’s Cup bases

The resource consent application to develop the infrastructure to host the 36th America’s Cup in Auckland has been publicly notified today.

Aucklanders are now able to provide their feedback by making a submission on plans to build the America’s Cup bases and village at Wynyard Basin.

You can have your say over the next 20 working days from 30 January to 28 February 2018.

http://ourauckland.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/articles/news/2018/1/have-your-say-on-the-america-s-cup-bases/

Another question is, why was ASB allowed to build their offices with no car-parks. sh*t, while we are at it, "Why was AirNZ allowed to build their offices so far from any airport?" or "Why was Fonterra allowed to build their office so far from a farm/factory?"

Basement parking was not a design option for the ASB site so I suppose that applies pretty much to the whole western reclamation redevelopment.

Look to the inclusion of private commercial parking buildings to address the demand.

Traffic at present is a disaster and just wait till the Cup is in full swing.

I think you'll find there is no provision for commercial parking buildings in the grand plan, it's all about pedestrian access, cycle ways, and the tram for public transport. The newer buildings are constrained by their resource consents on how many parks can be provisioned & it is a lot less than commercial buildings outside the area. When we moved in to our new building Auckland Transport provided a heap of material on how we could walk/run/ride to & from work and off to meetings etc & how wonderful this was. The Wilson's parking etc in the area now will go over time as development progresses.

The Fonterra/Datacom/Microsoft buildings all have underground carparking. I've heard the Sofitel carpark suffers from flooding​ although it is a lot closer to the water than the others.

Did some development in the Parnell Strand area for a client .

The best return on investment by far was a new build car park.

Washed it twice a year and the lights came on automatically.

No pesky tenants demanding fit out contributions, no earthquake remedial issues etc just a plain and simple cash machine.

Look to similar in the Western Reclamation.

You are right JK the further seaward you develop the costs of subterranean build do not stack up.

I don't think parking buildings are in the plan, they want people on scooters/bikes, walking or jogging... getting in by bus/train/ferry & catching the tram.

For new buildings you are permitted a max of 1 park per 150M2 which would leave plenty of space for parking large 4x4's but probably expensive even on a daily rate. This is why the Datacom/Fonterra buildings have less parking than desired. For apartments 2 you only get 0.7 carparks per dwelling, not even a car per apartment - 3 in every 10 are going to be looking for a parking building even assuming there is only 1 car per apartment!

Sounds like they have a vested interest to keep the waterfront as least built up as possible but it also seems pretty logical to do so if the bases can be kept on land.

TNZ's statement about their being lots of money behind the proposal seemed quite snarky.  Surely they should be trying to keep the harbour from having more wharves built out further into it.

My choice for the most logical AC village location would be the Devonport naval base.

The RNZN has a whole fleet of redundant recently commissioned vessels that cannot be manned occupying prime usable water front real estate.

Take the 2 frigates and the new waste of dosh $500 million tanker and relocate to Whangarei.

Voila no need for $200 million AC base spend.

VHH have been piling money into stop stealing our harbour to block the America’s cup bases blighting their view. Must have decided the direct attack is better

True, ring fencing out VHH offices waterfront views with a bunch of Total Span tin sheds has Mark and Adrian throwing out to the public arena the most bizarre plan.

Loved Dalton’s response.

So, we are led to believe that the boats will be craned onto some kind of travel lift, roll down the wharf to where it links across to the road, back along the road to get in to their bases. Meanwhile the road is still open to traffic using the remaining tanks at the end

Bloody nobrains in the Auckland shitty council, Parkers crowd and now Viaduct holdings Jesus h. Christ.

I hope Dalts/ETNZ comes out and says thats it,  we will just pack our bags and take the whole thing to Italy because  you bureaucrats are getting consumed with empire building and not even extending the Courtesy of consulting us during a process which by the way we signed of on back in February and is that not the only plan going through the resource consent process.

These same idiots only have one job to do, and yet it is clear that that is a big ask,  equally Dalts was clear after winning the cup we need this to move quickly or we will pack our bags and go to Italy where the challenger of record has kindly offered to get the job done.

All of these idiots now suddenly have a better idea,   4  different ones being played out in a public form with little or no contact with the sailors that will have to park 75 foot boats in areas designated by council idiots that have not consulted the sailors, I cannot see this ending well.

I think Dalts/ETNZ would be quite right to move camp to Italy given the way the bureaucrats are handling this.

Stupidity seems to be a pre requisite.

Forgive my rant but I cannot believe this small minded BS and I would love to see the grovelling and fawning that would surely occur as Dalts packs his bags and takes his millions elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

So, we are led to believe that the boats will be craned onto some kind of travel lift, roll down the wharf to where it links across to the road, back along the road to get in to their bases. Meanwhile the road is still open to traffic using the remaining tanks at the end

There is a road on the other side of the tanks though so perhaps they'll just build the boat sheds on top of the road and access the tanks from the other side?

The council has been paddling in the wrong playpool on this, and it's been found out. Its development arm, Panuku, appears to have worked closely with Emirates Team New Zealand to secure the outcome ETNZ wants. That's not its job: Panuku is supposed to secure the best outcome for the city.

If this is right I mutter 'fucken Panuku' to myself.  That report that came out yesterday saying NZ is the least corrupt country in the world seems to have excluded that department.