Offshore Medical Course

Hi All,

I am running my Offshore Medical course on Saturday May 12th 2018

You can book via this link - https://rayc.co.nz/offshoremedic/

It is a one day course which covers all Medical emergencies. 

The course is now accepted by World Sailing and may be used for Sydney- Hobart, Fastnet, RNI or Auckland -Noumea races or for Cat 1 certification prior to cruising

As usual - all of us who run it (Bek, Sally, Angus, Suellen and I) donate our time and any profits we make get donated to a charity

Book early to secure a place!

Cheers

Dr Dave

Hi Everyone,

We have set the date for next years course for Saturday March 16th 2019

Venue will probably be the new Akarana club rooms - however we will confirm this

Booking will again be on line , I will post a link as soon as it is set up

Regards

Dr Dave

Hi SMU,

No, Unlike some other courses, mine will cover both coastal and offshore medicine 

I am helped by Bek Costello who is an ED nurse educator (and great sailor and person), to teach the course .

We have a group led by Sally Garret - Jenny, Suellen and Angus all help organise and ensure the day runs smoothly

We all donate our time willingly and any profit is donated to help disabled sailing 

Cheers

Dave

Anecdotally, just after this course I was at home on a Sunday night with my wife who had was ill and was on antibiotics ..she took the last tablet of her antibiotic course and had an anaphylactic reaction to her last tablet.... thanks to the course above I immediately asked her what she had taken...fed her a few antihistamines and called the ambulance service....who then triaged us and asked us to make it into the 24 hr clinic on our own...helpful not... she was now semi-conscious...not a good look. The kids and I got her to ED where she was diagnosed with extremely low blood pressure and administered adrenalin. She spent the night in ED under obs and was discharged early in the AM extremely tired. 

Amazingly -  after the course I recognised immediately she was having an allergic reaction - so good course!

Hi Splat,

You have made my day!! - great to hear it was so helpful and more importantly that your wife is OK again

My goal is that the skills that we teach will help you not only at sea, but also at work, home or if you are first on scene at a car crash.

Thank you for the great story and feedback

Cheers

Dr Dave

Hi All,

The course is filling fast

If you would like to come, please register SOON

In previous years I have had a number of people who leave it until the course is full and then try and enter 

Thanks

Dave

Hi All,

A few things for the course:

• We are having a BBQ after the course - all are invited. RAYC will organise at a minimal fee
  • Please fill out your pre course quiz prior to attending
  • Once you have registered you will be given all the course notes. These cover the lectures so you can just listen, rather than write

See you there

Cheers

Dr Dave