Dermatitis?

Been sanding boat for a week, and handled a little epoxy (and sanding) and have itchy as ankle , wrists, and arms.Finally today start thinking dermatitis. Anybody a doctor here? Think sanding all finished now. Any suggestions on how to cope? Thanks

I was once told that the way to beat 'glass rash is a very hot shower which opens your pores and flushes the sanded fibres out of your skin, then turn it cold, which apparently slams the pores shut and washes the fibres off.

Kinda makes sense but I can't handle the rapid change and find myself standing beside the shower at that point.

Ps, also not a doctor or skin expert

I suffered for many many years from Dermatitis and am now completely cured and it was simple. I had to use those steroid \\\\\\\\\\\\\\cremes all the time. One day when I was getting a new presciptition of it, the Doc gave me a tub of no-ionised moisturizing creme. I asked why that was for and he said that studies are showing that a lot of dermatitis, especially on the hands is being caused by lack of skin moisture. So I liberally applied the moisturiser and in a few week my dermatisis was gone, Now I hardly even have to use the moistueriser either.
I imagine that this will be different to irritation caused by itchy Glass fibres.

hydrocortisone 0.5%

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/20024

Hydrocortisone belongs to a group of medicines called topical corticosteroids. These work by calming the inflammation that occurs during certain skin conditions or reactions.

Hydrocortisone cream may be used for treating various skin conditions including:

• eczema
  • dermatitis, including intertrigo (irritation between skin folds)

seems the standard treatment and is available from a pharmacy after a little chat with the pharmacist to ensure that;s what you need and know the dangers of steroid creams

ie don't use it all the time + don't lick your hands after applying it etc

Used to get the same.

Before sanding, take a shower as hot as you can stand. This opens up the pores. Towel dry and immediately apply baby oil which will then enter those nicely opened pores.

Go sand.

After sanding take a cold or tepid shower for a minute or two. This will wash the sanding residue off without opening the skin pores. Then turn up the heat and shower at your normal temperature.

You'll smell like the bilges of the Endeavour or the old Fosters used as it is pretty much the same stuff as 'pitch' and Stockholm tar.

Oh doesn't that bring back memories.

As a boy I used to go into Fosters just for the smell - evocative of square riggers, Cape Horn and exotic, far off ports.....

Maybe I could come round and sniff your armpits sometime..

I had the old "Hot Shower" thing suggested to me about 30 years ago after a hard days hay baling.

Being a townie I fell for it, and have since that day only ever used cold water to remove itchy scratchy irritants from the skin!

Got in a bit of trouble over the Xmas break when Mrs FLC discovered a thin yet evenly spread film of carbon dust which had found its way onto the WC seat, using a sensitive device for measuring such things. I didn't have the balls to suggest a quick bottomless plunge over the side...

This stuff may be worth a try: www.ghostgloveusa.com

It was originally developed for working with carbon fibre and epoxy resin. I got some from Mitre 10 locally, but can't find it on their website.  I found it in the cleaning products section.  I see it's also available on Amazon.

There's also another one called Handshield Liquid Gloves that I have used in the past.  I think it is supplied through the professional drywall supplies outfits.  A mate gave me some to try, but I personally think the Ghost Glove is better, especially for mechanical work (grease, oil, etc.).