What happened with the Akl Reggatta?

2014  77 boats
2015  58 
2016  52
2017  42
2018  33 

These are the numbers from RaceTrack. 
But I notice that this years is wrong as it does not include 2 one design divisions: MRX and Elliott 7.
So maybe wrong for other years too.

The AAR got dealt to by demographics and committees, its become a pastiche of bad ideas promoted without thinking it through.

The AAR is different. The year before they decided to 'spread' the races out from pretty much in the harbour only had lots of boats. The year they spread all the courses out which took most out of the harbour the numbers plummeted.

"its become a pastiche of bad ideas ........"

"it's become a work of visual art of bad ideas........"

That make little sense to others or is it just me?

also don't think it helps that squadron took over and all the events are there now.

Last Jack Tar regatta 35 boats

Last King of the Strait Regatta 48 boats

Basically all the KOTS boats are PHCC and BBYC so the aftermatch is closer to home

I noticed only Squaddy on the paperwork.

Last year we had to go right past BBYC to get to the race track which was not far from just outside Pine Harbour marina. Do boats from down that way only race just so they can have a aftermatch?

E7s and MRX not in RaceTrack because they're all charter, happy to add it in though.

Was there and enjoyed the sailing, top notch race management on the RNZYS inner course and excellent judgement on the part of the RC re course, lengths and when to pull the pin.

Fairly messy day for us re small things breaking and wrapping a line around the prop didn't exactly fall into the category of high points we'd like to repeat.  Did enough though to get where we were supposed to be on line.

Really good days work on the Part of Perfect Alibi and Rainbow IV in C div with their results thoroughly well deserved.

Personally I think the events evolved for the better.  Confess when there was a compulsory briefing at Bucks, left work at 3:30 and still missed the 6pm start of the briefing by 20 mins at that point I'd vowed never to do it again, that was just pain I didn't need in my life.  Being a two day event now does make sorting crew a deal easier as well.

I think you are getting confused with the auckland anniversary race?

I think you're right.

And agree, I've very much enjoyed all of them I've done, which is all bar last weekends. Bit of a haul to the Howick race track area but it was good water once we got there.

I must admit though, I am verging on bored shitless with W/L after W/L after W/L after W/L. What's wrong with a good hard out power reach with the pole trying to rip the forestay out, sheets creaking under load, helmsman looking rather anxious with tiller up under their chin, that tiny hole in the kite trying hard to give a sailmaker a late night and wipeouts going on all around you..... fun times.

#bringbackthewingmark

Raced a few a regattas in small boats early 80s.weather was usually against us.blow sw.prize giving used to held princess wharf with ambour liquids afterwards. Havnt raced in recent yrs as Friday night is race to mahurangi.Saturday mahurangi regatta.Sunday ladies race to rakino.monday to race in the ragatte would mean to go past our mooring area.

Better clarify this thread once and for all , half of you are talking about the Auckland Anniversary day regatta, which is regatta day or Auckland regatta weekend.

The other half are referring to the Jack Tar regatta, previously BMW regatta, and way before that the Air NZ regatta, sometimes (wrongly ) called the Auckland regatta.

When we did the One Ton Cup Revisited, some of the races were old Olympic courses (triangle, windward/ leeward).
Most boats agreed that was more fun than straight windward leewards.

Sounds like Weiti are onto a good thing!

Jack tar did throw in some harbour courses though, so even reachy types could have their fun. It really was a good event and I don't think the declining numbers are any reflection on the way it was run.

Better clarify this thread once and for all , half of you are talking about the Auckland Anniversary day regatta, which is regatta day or Auckland regatta weekend.

The other half are referring to the Jack Tar regatta, previously BMW regatta, and way before that the Air NZ regatta, sometimes (wrongly ) called the Auckland regatta.

Clarifying further - Jack Tar Auckland Regatta was previously BMW Auckland Regatta, before that it was the Motuhie Island Regatta run by BBYC, never related to Air NZ Regatta.

BBYC Teamed up with RNZYS to make it big with the backing of BMW. 

As RO for the A, B and M divisions Saturday was some great yachting and feedback from those sailing was all positive, was cool to see a new modern B division 40 footer fleet growing.

Having been involved since Motuhie Island regatta days the Auckland Regatta Trust is always open to involving more clubs, and open to feedback from participants. 

Last year and year before we had the Passage division based on feedback from lots that said they would join, but that only seemed to attract 6 or so boats, this year went back to less W/L and a mix of Harbour to try attract more boats. There was some contention about starting and finishing at Viaduct which the committee is keen to hear feedback on.

Remember the regatta is only as good as the participants that join. Yacht clubs can put on all the racing under the sun, (And normally try to adapt to what is wanted but thats sometimes like trying to read a crystal ball) If the yachties dont want it or want something different then the event suffers. Feedback to the clubs on what the fleet wants is a gift we appreciate. But then those giving the feedback need to support the changes and participate too!

Anyone is welcome to PM me with idea's or keep this forum running and the committee is watching it and keen to hear suggestions.

Marshy

Call me crazy but I love a good ww/lw weekend! They're hard bloody work and give you a good chance to really get into the groove of hoisting and dropping.

without me there

to steady the rail

i heard you screwed the pooch!

Nownow erice.... You keep quiet in the back of the class.... You are the one not wanting to help your mates and going off galavanting on your crotch rocket!

We enjoyed regatta, and swimming on sunday! And will be back next year (mostlikelyperhapsdefinitely)!!!

However, there is one hard truth. Apart from BBYC most clubs dont run w/l races regulary enough and that makes it hard to get in the swing of things. And with most weekends being preocupied with "family things" its hard to get the crew together and go practise.

Hotdogger gets to do two w/l regattas a year, and with a different crew every time so we dont really expect any great results, but they are fun, competitive and well run events!

And quite frankly, I think that there are no better clubs to run the event then BBYC and RNZYS.

How to get more boats??? Not sure...

Can we raft up in front of Jack Tar after a finish? Catch up with competitors and have a few laughs!

• Upvote 1