via Facebook...

Race Control for the Volvo Ocean Race has been informed by Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag of a man overboard incident on Monday afternoon at approximately 13:42 UTC.

The team, along with the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC), has been conducting a search and rescue operation to recover the missing crew member, John Fisher (UK), who was wearing survival equipment when he went overboard. The remaining crew are reported safe.

The incident took place approximately 1,400 miles west of Cape Horn. The wind in the search area is a strong 35-knot westerly, with accompanying sea state. Water temperature is 9-degrees Celsius. There is daylight, but weather conditions are forecast to deteriorate in the coming hours.

Given the gale force conditions it is not an option to divert any of the other six Volvo Ocean Race competitors, who are at least 200 miles further east and downwind of Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag, to assist in the search operation.

The MRCC has identified a ship approximately 400 nautical miles away and it has been diverted to the scene.

Naturally we are deeply concerned, especially given the weather conditions, and Race Control in Alicante is supporting the Scallywag team and MRCC throughout the operation.

We will have more information as it becomes available.

(https://www.facebook.com/volvooceanrace/photos/a.397718232436.192058.137241232436/10156743115382437)

It's been 6 hours... very close to the limits of a survival suit...

The Clipper race had a MOB that was recovered in 7 min in the Southern Ocean (going to windward, not fanging it downwind).

They use ais beacons in each LJ, auto activating on LJ activation. My new LJ has the facility for it, so it's now common and affordable. Immediate range and bearing to causality. (Range max 4 nm) probably a lot less in a big swell.

Does anyone know if the Volvos have these?

There was a comment I read somewhere that some boats ais wasn't working, a comment about reliability.

Think KMs comment about multiple systems issues may turn out...

From Dee yesterday on TTOP

It is cold, bitterly cold on deck and down below. 3 degrees air temperature and 4 degrees sea temperature, makes  for icy fingers and cheeks. The windy weather is due soon and we will have it blow hard for a good 12 hours before we return to the strong winds we have now, but it will take us to Cape Horn.

"This is grim. Quite affected by this imagine seeing your boat sailing away from you in those seas"

Stuff of your worst nightmare.

New a Chinese guy that got lost overboard north of Fiji off a kiwi built alloy Elliott and his partner came up on deck after a spell below to find only the bucket and shampoo.

If memory serves me correctly she later sailed with Keith Levey on Sofia which got hit by the weather bomb that claimed the Quartermaster.

Still in VoR's court though as the organiser. If there is a specified equipment list everyone has the gear, given they are in constant video surveillance a simple Sailing Instruction dictating a 1hr time penalty for every breach observed would help ensure they were worn.

However, I well know that there are reasons people don't always follow what they know to be right in this area, we don't know the circumstances, and commiserations to those involved.

Volvo are saying it's still on, but becoming more and more limited:

UPDATE 0100 UTC: Search and Rescue operation continues for Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag sailor

Given the severity of the forecast and with nightfall an hour away, we acknowledge the chances of a successful recovery are diminishing.

SHK/Scallywag has thus made the difficult decision to turn downwind and head towards the South American coast, the nearest safe landfall, approximately 1,200 nautical miles away.

https://www.facebook.com/volvooceanrace/photos/a.397718232436.192058.137241232436/10156744561897437

12 hours have passed. This is now a search to recover a body.

Would be interested to know what the lifevest had, Between DSC/AIS and EPIRB you have global and local options to find the guy, Even with AIS out personal epirbs or a backup dsc beacon should be available.

I sincerely hope they weren't relying on a single system :(

Was he actually wearing his life jacket?

All of the footage I have seen on the 'raw' media coverage shows all crews with LJ's, I haven't seen anyone on deck without one.

In saying that, they often have incidents where the off-watch crew are called up urgently.

Skallywag did a crash gybe yesterday. The video was on the 'daily update'. The driver stated he was about to plant it into the back of a wave, thus sending green water over the boat. He saw a crewman move to the leeward side. So he stated, on video, yesterday, that he did he crash gybe deliberately so as to not wash the crewman overboard.

You'd normally call that a near miss, discuss and change crew behaviour, i.e. about going to the leeward side without communicating with the driver. A crash gybe and recovery, or similar event would most likely warrant all crew on deck. I couldn't comment if they take the time to get dressed properly before going up (i.e. put on LJ's).

There is zero info on what has happened here, and I'm not making any comment on that, just restating what was said on video yesterday by a driver on Skallywag (rather a crash gybe than a MOB).

First video down on this link

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/11346_Daily-Digest-Monday-26-March.html