Which qualification to charter a yacht in europe

I am after some advice regarding the best qualification to get in NZ to allow me to charter a yacht in europe for a vacation.

Options appear to be coast guard coastal skipper, RYA equivalent to the coast guard coastal skipper or ICC?

Whats the benefit/difference between coast guard and RYA qualifications any opinions?

The ICC is recognised throughout Europe, I wouldn't necessarily trust the nzcg one. Kinda like a NZ truck licence, the NZ authorities believe they are valid in the UK, but they aren't.

RYA qualifications are divided into theory and practical. The exams for RYA Yachtmaster mean someone has actually assessed you can manage a yacht and crew, whilst providing actual leadership and crew management, whilst thinking on your feet.

The NZ CG ones means you have attended 8 night classes in a row, and managed to stay awake...

NZ coastguard tickets are worthless outside NZ.

I have the old MOT Ocean Yacht Master, which morphed later to the coastguard one. It has no path to commercail tickets and is completely useless outside NZ. 

Im currently doing the RYA offshore master for that reason...

Nothing they will go through a verble test with you or they will skipper for you , if you know your bouys beckons , port , stab , read a gps , depth sounder , pay the deposit , refundable no damage to the boat your off , I have a friend in grease at present , only sailed with me odd times they passed the test and off they are , two months at sea , they contacted a company and asked , the company said just come over , we will help ,

Interesting fact of sorts...

To get a RYA powerboat instructor ticket in the UK, we had to spend a day with an approved trainer to show competence and ability, which was a pass/fail test, before being allowed to apply for the course.

It didn't matter what other tickets were held, aside from the mandatory PB2.

It was pretty tough, a large portion of applicants had to re-sit, even some guys with commercial tickets.

When I inquired about doing the same course in NZ, I was given dates and told to just turn up. No pre tests, no vetting, didn't even need the mandatory lower level tickets.

Well, for the RYA offshore, there is a shorebased course and tests, it took me a couple of weeks full time to go through it, even though I knew the material. Then the exam, must get 80%.

Now, my old radio qual is no good, ha e to do a newer one with GMDSS. And a different first aid cert. Then the practical, for which a weeks on boat prep course is recommended, including night nav and piloting without electronics.

I would not say its easy.

I’m chartering a sailing cat in Tonga for a week this winter, I kinda said I’d sailed randomly around Auckland for 40 years and they said “ok” - no mention of formal qualifications required...

I’m chartering a sailing cat in Tonga for a week this winter, I kinda said I’d sailed randomly around Auckland for 40 years and they said “ok” - no mention of formal qualifications required...

Tonga could be a bit different though Hurts, did you book through Moorings?

They are an Auckland based operation and know that NZ yachties generally are Ok, if they have any doubts will but a skipper on for a day or two to suss you out. I asked about getting a cat up there and the only question they asked me was "how long do you want it for?"

Coastguard Boating Education are the RYA representatives in NZ. They can point you in the right direction re ICC.  RYA YM quals are internationally respected and can lead to a commercial pathway for 'Red Ensign' vessels. There are several recognised RYA training centres  around the country that can help you get everything from a Day Skipper to Ocean Yachtmaster. Not cheap, not quick - but quality training (theory and practical training and assessment). I've done both CG Boatmaster and RYA Yachtmaster courses  - different beasts, one is theory only & is short while the other requires commitment, takes time and $$$$ (but you come out far more skilled).

RYA ICC. will cost you around 700bucks and take half a day. works pretty well everywhere (ie can be used as a boat license in Australia). It is the most recognised in europe and is what I got for a greek charter last year.