Tomorrow weather

when it hit 115 out west about 9pm I decided I'd better dash over to westhaven, got out of the car and the noise was incredible, like being out at the airport listening to lots of jet engines roaring down the runway at once, quite unnerving.

Boat was fine but it was rocking and rolling enough even in one of the most sheltered spots in the marina you had to hang on good and tight.  Dinghy had slipped down the front of the cabin to the deck so the rope holding it had come loose and it was up on its side trying to escape.

Didn't see any headsails flapping at that stage.

Driving back over the bridge was the scariest, I thought the back end of the car was getting lifted up by the gusts but then realised it was the whole bridge lifting up and down, over the top and down the northern side it felt like being in an earthquake where the ground rolls past you every 5-10 seconds (one lane was closed so everyone was doing 30kmh).  Pretty happy to get off it tbh.  Must be some insane loads go on that thing in those conditions.

We had a couple of really big gusts around 9. Fish, didn't notice anything out of place on charlatan when we went past.

Thanks.

Looks like a vandal has been through my garden.

Got off very lightly here, power didn't go off (we had planned for it with all the usual torches and lanterns out) - I actually had a very good night sleep, which is not normal for a howling storm...

Got down to Westhaven at around 9.30pm and it was crazy. There were a few on the pontoon checking out their boats.

We secured a yacht on V that had broken its bow line. Good job there was a centre pole or it would have been smashing up against the boat next to it. As it was it was bashing the pole a lot.

We gave up trying to pull the yacht's bow back to the pontoon as we just didn't have the strength. We had to run a line from the bow back to a winch and winch her in.

Furled a jib on W and tied it off and tried to secure a few covers.

The big Oyster's jib on T was flogging badly. Someone got it in a few hours later.

what does a dog say? rough.

I got really nervous around 10pm and was thinking maybe I should go check on her, looked at nowcasting and saw 46 gusting 60WNW.

rowing out in that, in the dark, seemed like a poor choice... though it would have been a very quick trip.

I'm glad I didn't have any sails on deck. worst case scenario, I'm buying new solar panels (left them tied down, d'oh). best case scenario they survived, or they ripped out my deck railings and I get new-new under insurance and a nightmare of rain-soaked holes to deal with.

A pretty good layman's explanation of what happened

A large polar airmass was energetically pushed N through the tasman sea, creating a bow wave ahead of it. This bow wave (or cold front) began to surround the airmass as the center of it moved N. The boundary between the cold front and the warmer air mass over New Zealand led to an eddy forming along the West Coast, which spun faster and deepened as it headed NW. Air mass boundaries (in particular, the gradient of temperature and water content between them) are what fuel weather systems. Normally, this is pretty common stuff, but this particular low center ended up intensifying at precisely the right point and in such a way that Auckland experienced its peak intensification, which usually occurs off shore. It was just luck, really. However, it looks like the spin was also augmented by the high level jetstream aloft this time around, which has historically been associated with rapid intensification.

• Upvote 1

Ive just got back in from going out and checking VB and neighbours. I jumped on a nearby trimaran and rolled his jib back up, its buggered!. Our only damage was to the two paddle boards I had strapped to the front tramp, two webbing straps broken, one board was having over the side on its tail rope bashing itself to death on the gunwale and the other paddle board is missing in action, probably somewhere in Ngataringa bay or based on the windspeed on the to of Rangitoto. If any one finds an 11ft white/black/green Starboard Sail/SUP board its probably mine. There is also what looks like an H28 on the cliff edge on the southern side of Ngataringa bay probably from our mooring area. 

People out west saying it was the strongest winds in 24 yrs.

Just goes to show you don't a 'named' cyclone to cause the biggest winds.

Interesting that the Metservice warnings weren't anywhere near as dire as the last couple of TCs that came through i.e.this time they undercooked it.

My conversation with Chorus this morning:

Me: Hi there you’ve got a pole outside our house with a line down on the ground in front on my drive. Not sure if it’s power or phone line but you probably need to check it out. Pole number xxxx adresss zzzz

Chorus guy: Ok, any idea why the line came down?

Me: Yeah a tree came down on top of it.

Chorus guys: Ok, any idea why the tree came down?

Me: Have you heard of a program called ‘The News’?