Shane strikes again

And to add to harrytom's comment, if he is genuine, then many of us would still offer him a helping hand. It is that his stories are utter lies and make understanding his situation impossible. So when we discuss him, it's more about trying to understand him and work out if he is genuine or a con artist. We still don't really know the answer. And trust me, there is only a fraction of his story discussed here on Crew. But if he has a mental issue, or head injury causing problems, we are very forgiving and very much behind him. But so much just does not add up for those of us that have met him and for all the stories we here of others meeting him.

moonshine via ynz site but doubt its a farr.

MOONSHINE 1501 Bruce Farr   Farr MOONSHINE T2219 Moonraker Mar     MOONSHINE EXPRESS 7295 M Tennant     MOONSHINE EXPRESS T3892 Muir/Tomkies     MOONSHINE EXPRESS 3830 Mike Muir (Express 9mtr) Canterbury   MOONSHINE II T2912 F Pelin   Caribou 17 MOONSHINE II 6927 F Herreshoff   H 28 MOONSHINE MAGIC T3821 T Adams   Gazelle 24 MOONSHINER T3360 Owen Woolley   Ventura SISTER MOONSHINE T3749 M Elmes   Minetun SISTER MOONSHINE 5088 Jim Young   Young 88
  •  

A red hearing guys.
http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/gales-drive-yacht-on-to-rocks/news-story/4b1cba22df8f0546a4c0ec7d12f11087?nk=479dc04117ab06ca61b559545dbd5fe8-1523943714
Sorry, partly my fault as the Pic appeared on his FB page and thus I just assumed. I just stumbled across this news item when I was googling to see if I could find any more info on his boat.

I suspect he is lurking here and has seen this thread. I just went to his FB page and I am blocked from it now. So I reckon he has seen the discussion and found a Picture on google and posted it on his FB page to lead us astray.
I think he is cleverer than he lets us think.

This guy fascinated me when I first made an account here...!

I've been wondering where he was off to.

If there's no mental illness involved as you say, his actions are quite curious. So much effort... to gain what?

Shane has an atrocious background as a child in State care. He's certainly not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I don't think he maliciously means to do harm. In my view he just doesn't appreciate consequences. So, for example, when he bought his first boat all he gave the owner was a promise to pay them $50 or so a week. Agreed price was about $5K from memory. So who was at fault when Shane didn't pay? I think in Shane's mind he hoped to pay one day, but he's in the moment. So in the current moment whatever money he has buys food for himself and the dogs (and always the dogs first). 

I recall he signed up at Seaview Marina and never paid and so they kicked him out after about 4 months and he just motored over to Chaffers and did the exact same thing. Why didn't Chaffers call around the other local  marinas and do a credit check? Let's face it there's only Evans Bay, Seaview and Mana. Hardly a big job. Of course Chaffers kicked him out after 3-4 months so he then went to either Waikawa or Picton Marinas and did exactly the same thing. Derr, again no credit checks. 2 or 3 months later he was kicked out and so he used some guys mooring by the ferry terminal for several months. Picton is a bit small to do that though and the dogs barking attracted too much attention, so off he went to Nelson I think.

I tried to help teach him to sail. It was pretty obvious he has a significant learning disability,

He's a kid that has fallen through all the cracks, he's had minimal education, been in lots of foster homes, and has a seriously disfunctional family, And the problem with being in State care is that as soon as you're 16 they kick you out on your arse.  I think it’s very sad.

• Upvote 4

At last some explanation. Thanks Grantmc. That fills in a whole lot of gaps in the story.
I agree that we have a huge problem of Kids falling through gaps here in NZ and the gaps can be more like crevasses at time. If you don't fit within specifics, like having a physical address, Internet, money to pay for a Dr's assessment and on and on and on, then you can't get help and those that really need help tend to be the ones that have all those above problems.
But also, without any of us being nasty, it is good that we all know this about him so as someone else does not get put in a position of selling a boat to him on a promise and not get paid. And yes I do understand that the seller has a certain amount of responsibility in a sale also. Like a deposit or contract or what ever the need to safegaurd oneself.

... suppose he he ends up in the criminal justice system, then what? 

I so hope that never happens to him. He's no thief and wouldn't hurt a fly. 

And he means well, but I think he lacks any understanding of responsibility, certainly no money sense whatsoever.

what got me 

was the unnecessary grandiose lying

if people can't agree on a common language

they shouldn't communicate at all

good luck to him

but pity the people who try to help 

he won't

I so hope that never happens to him. He's no thief and wouldn't hurt a fly. 

And he means well, but I think he lacks any understanding of responsibility, certainly no money sense whatsoever.

But very sadly, it is where many people with these kinds of problems and backgrounds seem to end up. it is not their own fault that they did not get a good family environment and special help in education. But they suffer from those two points for the rest of their lives and then end up in the Country's correctional system and a greater expense to us all.

Well he didn't have to double space his forum posts to be understood so there is that :)

Ive often wondered about that

its kinda like reading poetry

but without the rhyming

or any punctuation

makes the posts and resulting threads 

really long

without any real need

I could easily make

this post 

half a page

and waste more space