SSANZ B&G Simrad Series suggestions.....

Cameron

Hi All,

While it is still fresh in everyones mind... anyone have some good suggestions to further improve the series ? It would be awesome to get to 200 boats !

BTW the weather seems to run in a 2 year cycle for SSANZ....So next year should be awesome !

Cameron

yes would agree with that thought that both the start and finish lines left the boats pretty exposed to ending up on the poles if something went wrong especially after the finish trying to tack over the line when that massive squall came through

Agree. The finish line at the wharf was dangerous.

I would favour Orakei buoy to Mark Boat.

Alternatively Northern Leading Buoy to Mark Boat anchored towards Rangitoto shore. The mark boat would be out of the main channel tidal flow, in about 6m (CD) of water + tide, especially in Wind against tide situation we had on Saturday. Also lots of sea room to use if you fail to lay the finish.

We were struggling with our #3 only and just climbed above the Orakei Outfall Fairway beacon and Orakei wharf, trying like mad to avoid another tack. Just made it.

OR

FOR HEAVY WEATHER COURSES:

Motukorea to Mark Boat in entrance to Tamaki River in about 4m + tide, with possibly more protection from Glendowie cliffs in SW winds and less sea state.

START LINE: Orakei Buoy to Mark Boat. Keep away from the wharf and breakwater with the increase in starters in all divisions.

HEAVY WEATHER DECISION:

Excellent choice, long and hard and rough enough to be remembered and I was personally wet enough from spray and rain and starting to get cold enough, to be happy to finish when we did.

Hey Guys. Thanks to SSANZ for choosing to start the race still..

The heavy weather course was the best decision made by SSANZ all year. great idea and made it a little more bearable.

I tend to agree on the idea of starting on the other side of the bouy. It is pretty tough trying to pick the line through there without taking the pile out and its suprising no-one has ended up on them yet!

Other than that i have no other suggestions, pretty well run series in the hard conditions that they were.

Chris (Mercenary)

Starting on the opposite side of Orakei Buoy may create another set of issues with the shipping lane...

Anyway the point is taken and I will make sure SSANZ investigates options for next year.

more finish on the rum boat.............

whaddaya mean I'm not helping.... whaddaya ^hic^ trying to shay ^hic^

We only had one - it were tuff out there........ I mean , I got a foot wet n all

1-Put the dates back to the first weekend of the month. How can I let my wife book flights 6 months in advance when you go and change what was a date carved in stone.

2 - Have 2 divisions in short haul cruising. Fast and slow. Cutoff .780 not .800

3 - Long race for short haul to remove out and back option. A triangle is ok.

4 - Work closer with YNZ / PHRF to ensure the right boats go in the right place. Marshall Law should be in Div 1. Coppelia should be in Long haul etc.

5 - Keep up the good work

In with Jono on the SH courses. C1 is a bit of a speed track with little tactics or at least it's panned out that way over the last couple of years. C2 is more tactical or has the bigger ability to be so. Maybe swing C2 to being the primary choice course.

Keep making smart calls like Saturday's 'we're off but on heavy weather course.... GO!'. That was a very good call.

1. If the smallboat cruising division is to be retained, then switch the starting order of the last two divisions, so we don't have the bastards sailing over the top of us.

2. Every year, reverse the direction of the courses to make it more interesting for regular competitors.

3. I feel that interest often wanes thoughout the series. There are far more entries for race 1 than race 2 and race 3. I myself felt that the series seemed to drag on a long time this year. Maintain interest by scheduling the each race to take place every four weeks. Keep it short, sharp and snappy!

4. Drop the IRC and ORC divisions.

Scoring gates is an interesting idea... and one that I haven't heard suggested before in regards to the B&G Simrad.

Biggest negative I can see is a large increase in Committee boats/volunteers etc as we would have to effectively have multiple finish lines. You may suggest using the Radio scheds... but going on past experience I wouldn't trust them for accurate placings around a given point.

Scoring gates is an interesting idea... and one that I haven't heard suggested before in regards to the B&G Simrad.

Biggest negative I can see is a large increase in Committee boats/volunteers etc as we would have to effectively have multiple finish lines. You may suggest using the Radio scheds... but going on past experience I wouldn't trust them for accurate placings around a given point.

Why not use your GPS plot of your course, i'm sure you can work out times off that?

Most boats already have the ability to do this now?

Archived