Dad and Daughter missing

Reminds me of Conn who ran out to sea from the back of the Barrier for 5 days many moons ago after suffering a bob stay failure?

Friends and family raised a fair wack of loot to mount a private air search and Conn repaired his yacht and returned home safely wondering why all the fuss.

No epirb or radio.

Barrier residents are a special breed but a quick call home would have saved a lot of concern and expense.

New a guy who had some rig/ & no motor issues in the channel out that way so he left his female companion alone onboard and jumped in his kayak and off he shot to seek some assistance Port Charles way.

She was bloody happy to see him return many hours later.

I was out at the barrier after xmas and found that there was no possibility of using my Spark phone out there. apparently they ran the generator needed to run the cell ph tower for about 3 weeks over the immediate xmas period, once the diesel tank ran dry that was that. I sailed as far as Whangaparapara with no connection. I know that cell phones are only good for maybe 10 miles at sea but that may have been enough for him to make contact in the early stages of his adventure.

Well it’s pretty basic don’t buy a boat less you can run it , looks pretty ,lots of fun , but you have to manage it , spend money on it , keep it , make sure it gets you home , why did the battery go flat , thoes boats have good alternators , being launches , why wasn’t there a house battery to offer power The trip wasn’t prepared ,

Reminds me of Conn who ran out to sea from the back of the Barrier for 5 days many moons ago after suffering a bob stay failure?

Friends and family raised a fair wack of loot to mount a private air search and Conn repaired his yacht and returned home safely wondering why all the fuss.

No epirb or radio.

Barrier residents are a special breed but a quick call home would have saved a lot of concern and expense.

I remember that, we spent a winter hauled at Okahu with his boat.Great guy. Young Ben with Matua did something similar a few years later....went to sea and rode it out.