kauri waka in tree

another plus for roading ;-)

What is believed to be a partially complete waka has been uncovered during excavation work on a motorway project in Puhoi, north Auckland.

The discovery was made on April 16 near the Ōkahu inlet north of the Johnstone's Hill Tunnel on State Highway 1, the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) said.

The waka is thought to be about 10 metres long and still connected to the trunk of a kauri tree.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/103480134/partially-complete-10-metrelong-waka-found-during-north-auckland-motorway-construction

Christ they had every bloody expert oohing and a ahhing as if they had found the great lost Ark.

Fletchers must of been poohing their pants thinking that any future progress payments would be a long time coming.

Never send your kids to university I say.Maybe the archaeologist / consultants were taught that the natives of the time simply threw a few seeds in the ground and voila there is your waka.

Now do Bunnings stock any seeds for a RM970.

And instead of the tree being put to good use, ie being milled and used to build some modern day Wakes, it is going to be buried.

What a waste and think of all the CO2 emissions as it decomposes.

My son is currently studying history in the UK. He can’t see a future career in NZ because of this kind of bullshit. There is no determinable history in NZ, just a procession of lies and manipulating reality to fit someone’s demand for money.

Even the naming of our islands is bullshit

There is something wrong with the names 'North Island' and 'South Island'? I would have thought you couldn't get more simple names if you tried.

Must be a wet long weekend...

Yep if we cut the cable god knows where the north island would end up

On odd occasion I have taken an axe and thought about it. But as the NI is not actually above the Mainland, I have always been worried the strong tide out there may just cause it to move closer and bump into us, entirely defeating the purpose. ;-)