Secure mooring

The number of boats looking similar in neglect is sad.....and growing.

Have a few absolute shockers on my marina finger and honestly they all look farkin depressing.

The rental fees are obviously being paid and for reasons only known to the the owners these once great looking yachts have just left them to rot.

No I don't think so, either too busy, or has lost interest. 2 or maybe 3 years ago he had it really nice, since then it has languished.

May well have developed a health issue or some other life event that prevents him / her attending to their pride and joy, especially if it was maintained in tip top condition not long ago. Cancer, heart attack, stroke are all very effective health conditions at making you 'lose interest' in your boat.

If it were my neighbour I'd double up the lines with something a tad more durable. Partly to protect my boat, and partly because you don't know just what situation the owner is in and why he isn't looking after his boat.

• Upvote 2

I was going home in the dinghy the other day between the rows of boats at Panmure. Stopped to secure someone’s mainsheet that had broken with the boom swinging out into the channel Could have been a nasty surprise if you ran into the end of it at night in your yacht.

I think I would be onto the harbourmaster with that pic steve.  As if that's your neighbour it could hit you when it breaks and damage your boat.

I had approached the marina folk several times, with no real results until a couple of days ago when I showed them that pic. They had tried his number but he hadn't returned the call. (they hadn't tried again and wouldn't give me his No.) but, they did ring him while I was there with the pic and (luckily) he answered, and agreed to do something the same day. We'll see next time we are onboard.

This raises an interesting question... if you did something to improve the holding of the boat, and then that broke, and did damage, you could be found at least partially liable. I know I'd be the kind to do something, but it makes you think twice. Basically in that situation i think you'd have to prove that what you did was better than the status quo. Thoughts....

Pretty sad if everyone would be too scared to throw an extra rope on something that looks likely to let go. And pretty easy to make sure that you are improving the situation rather than making it worse. The pictured boat with nothing much holding it would certainly be improved by adding whatever line may be available on the boat but I would not remove the existing old lines. And if it looked like it would hit my boat if it let go then I would definitely do it even if I had to use my own line

This isn't America.

Under what mechanism (of law) can you be held liable for A) someone else's boat sinking, and B.) doing something with the intention of improving the situation?

If you thought you'd stop it breaking its mooring lines and drifting away, by drilling a hole in the bottom so it would sit securely on the seabed (thus not drifting away) yes, you may be up for some liability. Like vandalism or a criminal level of incompetence. I can't see how you can get to any level of liability by putting a rope onto a boat.

I don't know the legal aspects. But I do know that in many Marinas, you are not allowed to board or alter lines on another persons boat. Even if a furler has unraveled in a blow, you are not supposed to touch it. Bollocks is all I call it.
When we were living aboard, another boats bilge alarm had been sounding for hrs. I went to the office and let them know. They did nothing. Apparently they only get involved if the boat sinks and it becomes an environmental issue.