Anyone know "Bilbo Baggins"?

Besides the obvious of 'I saw him on LOTR', we have a small cutter rigged sloop here in Urquharts Bay, white topsides, green around the portlights and very rough looking with a clinker tender tied down on the forepeak. She arrived yesterday afternoon and no sign of the skipper. The hatch is open and a radio going yet no one there? Anyone know this keeler?

I saw this yacht up in Bay of Islands over Christmas, He sailed up in about half a knot of breeze,dropped his anchor, then sailed away the next morning, no motor, no fuss. Crusty looking old sea dog, not the tidiest skipper or boat, but he knew what he was doing  ;-)

Is he underneath giving it a scrub?  :razz:

Seriously, we are worried enough Police said they will probably check her out tomorrow. So he was old?(ish). I have a bad feeling he is either not on board or.. We shone a 500w HID at her tonight and nothing so no, I don't think he is undeneath giving her a scrub. Radio going and hatch open, dinghy on deck. Find out tomorrow I 'spose.

^^

Indeed, go over and check. He might have had a stroke and need assistance.

Tender still tied on deck? If he's not there, it's very strange to leave radio on (limited electricity?) and hatch open. Reason enough to investigate.

He lives aboard and is often at great barrier

In fact he was in Nagles cove last Friday morning

Friendly old guy, sticks to himself but is very approachable and a very good sailor, he actually motored out of the cove last Friday as it was blowing but he mostly sails everywhere

Hope he’s ok, go and knock on the hull this morning, if no response climb aboard !!

His name is Harry Martin and very much alive. Lives in Port Fitzroy and really is as rough as his keeler but a nice old codger. So a happy ending. (Just likes living below!)

Harry has sailed that boat (Spencer 32 / 34 ?) to Stewart Island and back and many other places, been dismasted of east cape. Harry sails every where, often just for fun. I've sailed along side him in the Tall ships race in the B.o.I.  He keeps it simple, friendly if you choose to talk to him. Once upon a time in another life he was a physed teacher. good Man.

Yep, a very nice friendly chap. He appreciated that we were concerned about him. Very light breeze this morning and like a true sailor, tacked all the way out of Urquharts to where I don't know. Was going to invite him over for coffee. Another time.