Importing a boat back to Nz from Aus

Going to talk to freight forwarder tomorrow and try get some final answers.

Suggest you talk to Richard Thorpe at TNL Pindar for shipping advice. You should also clarify the GST situation, remember if GST applies it would also be charged on the freight and insurance cost if you ship.

I’ve bought a couple of kiwi boats back from Ausy. Sailed out of nz, sailed back. No gst was incurred. If it was built for export, and exported new, I understand that’s different.

Suggest you talk to Richard Thorpe at TNL Pindar for shipping advice. You should also clarify the GST situation, remember if GST applies it would also be charged on the freight and insurance cost if you ship.

I deal with Richard for freight at work so will definately be talking to him tomorrow.

Going to talk to freight forwarder tomorrow and try get some final answers.

Back in the mid 2000's I was given a ballpark number of $30k plus cradle for a 42fter, hence sailing was a no brainer.

IIRC, duty no longer applies but GST was payable.

Need to remove keel definitely as you pay per container space

So as it’s wider than 2.5m you would need at least two x 40’ spaces, maybe 3 as cradle will sit in one and you will extend into the two either side or possibly 6 with keel on plus the mast will be over 40’ so could be more unless they will put it in the scuppers

Sail or if by chances there is a dockwise type ship coming this way ?

You pay gst if applicable on the cost price plus shipping costs, but if you sail it yourself you can claim depreciation after sailing across on the cost price, about 10% per year

I’m always up for an adventure

I’ve bought a couple of kiwi boats back from Ausy. Sailed out of nz, sailed back. No gst was incurred. If it was built for export, and exported new, I understand that’s different.

What was the background with the yachts you sailed back from aus?

Had they been sold to aus and then sold back to NZ? If so how long had they been in aus?

Yacht registration is NOT proof of ownership. It should have no bearing on the GST on a boat. My boat was built in Ausy, GST paid when it was 1st imported. Its been in and out of NZ several times, and Customs know about it, never been an issue. They dont even mention GST  most of the time. A boat built in NZ and used here, has already had the GST paid, when new, or if home built, on the components. If the boat was sailed out of NZ, it should be able to be sailed back, with no additional costs, regardless of the period it was away for.

Ring customs, and confirm for yourself...

• Upvote 1

Excellent links, Puff (still can't get used to that username)

Interesting to read concessions reference #90. "Goods of a kind used in the construction of a residential dwelling as may be approved by the Minister and subject to such conditions as the Minister thinks fit"

So, if I'm importing a house lot of double glazing for my new house, I can apply for it to be duty and GST free? (If the minister thinks it fit)

From the doc above.

PERMANENT ENTRY If you wish to permanently import your yacht or small craft it will be subject to duty and/ or GST. You must complete the Advance Notice of Arrival (Small Craft) (Form NZCS 340) and email it to yachts@customs.govt.nz or fax it to +64 3 358 0069 at least 48 hours prior to the expected arrival time in New Zealand territorial waters (12 nautical miles from the coastline). If your yacht or small craft arrives in New Zealand permanently and there is duty and/or GST outstanding the vessel will be held within the port of entry until this is paid in full and the vessel is cleared.

But it also says:

You may be exempt from import entry requirements if your craft:

• is returning to New Zealand
  • is owned and registered in New Zealand
  • was built in New Zealand
  • has already been cleared and any relevant duty/GST paid.

This doesn’t apply if your craft was built for export, and exported overseas.

So, if the boat was built in NZ & used here prior to sailing overseas, and has been purchased by a NZ resident who is bringing it back to NZ, then it would fulfil all 4 of those requirements. With the possible exception of the registration bit, & you would be a returning vessel not one to be imported. May be different on the GST component for delivery.

Having just brought an Austrailian owned and registered vessel (but was Kiwi built and has never been exported from NZ) there are a few other hidden costs I've come across to making the boat NZ registered again, such as:

- Australia use a different MMSI numbers from NZ, so  you can't transfer it between ownership. As the MMSI number can't be reprogrammed in our VHF, we'll need a new one. Our SSB might be the same as it allows two reprograms of the MMSI but it might have used them up already (Original NZ one. Aussie one, our new NZ one)

- Ozzie Epirbs are different to our Epirbs and you can't register an Ozzie one to NZ. 

- Ozzie ship registration is linked to Ownership, so you need to properly de-register this vessel with the co-operation of the Ozzie ex owner. Then there is some state rego as well. 

But it also says:

You may be exempt from import entry requirements if your craft:

• is returning to New Zealand
  • is owned and registered in New Zealand
  • was built in New Zealand
  • has already been cleared and any relevant duty/GST paid.

This doesn’t apply if your craft was built for export, and exported overseas.

So, if the boat was built in NZ & used here prior to sailing overseas, and has been purchased by a NZ resident who is bringing it back to NZ, then it would fulfil all 4 of those requirements. With the possible exception of the registration bit, & you would be a returning vessel not one to be imported. May be different on the GST component for delivery.

That clause is for when a boat is sailed overseas by it's owner and returns some time (years) later under the same owner.

Well apart from the consequences of being caught there’s also the fact that immigration will have recorded you leaving nz at the airport so when you show up via ird etc as being back but no record of entry. It is easier to just follow the rules.