Importing a boat back to Nz from Aus

A boat built in NZ and used here, has already had the GST paid, when new, or if home built, on the components. If the boat was sailed out of NZ, it should be able to be sailed back, with no additional costs, regardless of the period it was away for.

Thats fine if the person sailing back is the same person that sailed it away. However if they are not one and the same, how would you know that the person sailing it away didn't claim the GST back before it went. That's a loophole that was commonly exploited up until a few years back when IRD shut the door but could still occur. And the past owner who sold it overseas is hardly going to own up to a possible fraud.

See, if a guy that was registered for GST claimed the GST when he bought it and sold it overseas with no GST thats entirely legal and GST clearly payable when it comes back.

A private owner couldn't do that, but if instead of the broker acting as the agent, the broker actually bought the boat for what the owner was asking, plus an amount equivalent to GST, claimed the GST and then sold the boat overseas on the same day zero rated, effectively the NZ owner gets the GST benefit. An arrangement clearly designed to gain a tax benefit and dodgy as hell but was done all the time.

Having just brought an Austrailian owned and registered vessel (but was Kiwi built and has never been exported from NZ) there are a few other hidden costs I've come across to making the boat NZ registered again, such as:

- Australia use a different MMSI numbers from NZ, so  you can't transfer it between ownership. As the MMSI number can't be reprogrammed in our VHF, we'll need a new one. Our SSB might be the same as it allows two reprograms of the MMSI but it might have used them up already (Original NZ one. Aussie one, our new NZ one)

- Ozzie Epirbs are different to our Epirbs and you can't register an Ozzie one to NZ. 

- Ozzie ship registration is linked to Ownership, so you need to properly de-register this vessel with the co-operation of the Ozzie ex owner. Then there is some state rego as well. 

Whats your VHF? And SSB? The MMSI numbers CAN be changed, you just need to know how, and its usually dealer/Manufacturer only info. I can likely do it for you depending on brands...

Whats your VHF? And SSB? The MMSI numbers CAN be changed, you just need to know how, and its usually dealer/Manufacturer only info. I can likely do it for you depending on brands...

Yip that's true I did that last year, no prob at all just costs a bit from the importer or agent.  Had a problem with the AIS though so IT supplied me a new one.  

Funny story for me I've done a heap of travel in the last 12 months in and out of NZ about 30 times.  Last reentry last year was via boat and found they had no record of me leaving NZ to get there to pick boat up caused all sorts of problems while they 'worked out' my history, so when "computer says no" they had to agree that I existed and was in the Country so the system is not always right it seems.  

Yacht registration is NOT proof of ownership. It should have no bearing on the GST on a boat. My boat was built in Ausy, GST paid when it was 1st imported. Its been in and out of NZ several times, and Customs know about it, never been an issue. They dont even mention GST most of the time. A boat built in NZ and used here, has already had the GST paid, when new, or if home built, on the components. If the boat was sailed out of NZ, it should be able to be sailed back, with no additional costs, regardless of the period it was away for.

Ring customs, and confirm for yourself...

Spoke to customs today and say you have to pay gst because the boat was exported. I have sent and email to get an official answer.

Ok, that could be the case - if it was exported and GST was claimed. Otherwise, you might like to remind them of their own regs, depending on the circumstances with this particular boat;

You may be exempt from import entry requirements if your craft:

• is returning to New Zealand
  • is owned and registered in New Zealand
  • was built in New Zealand
  • has already been cleared and any relevant duty/GST paid.

This doesn’t apply if your craft was built for export, and exported overseas.

Need to remove keel definitely as you pay per container space

So as it’s wider than 2.5m you would need at least two x 40’ spaces, maybe 3 as cradle will sit in one and you will extend into the two either side or possibly 6 with keel on plus the mast will be over 40’ so could be more unless they will put it in the scuppers

Sail or if by chances there is a dockwise type ship coming this way ?

You pay gst if applicable on the cost price plus shipping costs, but if you sail it yourself you can claim depreciation after sailing across on the cost price, about 10% per year

I’m always up for an adventure

How much depreciation could you claim for a tasman crossing?

The guy I had to process our import I don’t think had seen a boat before, it was his first week in the job. He had to go out the back and ask questions to his boss several times.

Really had no idea, but he just followed the paperwork. He just worked off the bill of sale that I provided and said that it must have depreciated since then so took 10% off.

We landed in Opua and hadn’t arranged to prepay the GST/duty and they said I couldn’t leave until it was paid. However when I said we had a arrival party in Auckland the next day the lady said we looked trustworthy and checked with her boss, then said we could leave. But I’d need to go into customs house in Auckland and pay within a month.

Call me if it’s getting close to a deal and I’ll give you a few other options that I’ll not put here.

I believe the fundamental issue is whether GST was ever paid on the boat after it was built. If it was built for export, then GST would most likely not have been paid and it would have to be paid when re-imported. If it wasn't built for export but was sold at some point (typically second hand) to a foreign buyer, normally GST will have already been paid, so it won't have to be paid when brought back to NZ. The exception would be if GST previously paid was claimed back by the original NZ owner when it was sold to the foreign buyer. In this case I'm pretty sure you're back to owing GST when you bring the boat back.

What happens if ya Just but it and sail back and park it.... Why tell anybody surely they don't watch dog every boat on the coast.

Used to be an Orion flew right around the NZ coastline every 24hrs. Or was that an urban myth?

Definitely a myth.

The navies version of going on Patrol is stooging back and forth between Kawau and Tiri. They've been at it for about 3 weeks now.

Back and forth

Back and forth

They'll do a press release that says their vessels have been on patrol the equivalent of circumnavigating NZ three times in the last year. They just won't mention it's all in the Hauraki Gulf.

Definitely a myth.

The navies version of going on Patrol is stooging back and forth between Kawau and Tiri. They've been at it for about 3 weeks now.

Back and forth

Back and forth

They'll do a press release that says their vessels have been on patrol the equivalent of circumnavigating NZ three times in the last year. They just won't mention it's all in the Hauraki Gulf.

Wrong.

The Air Force Orion patrols is not a myth.

I've been pinged. If I could be bothered I've got a video of them doing a low fly-by and calling us on the VHF to confirm our identity and passage plan etc.

Wrong.

The Air Force Orion patrols is not a myth.

I've been pinged. If I could be bothered I've got a video of them doing a low fly-by and calling us on the VHF to confirm our identity and passage plan etc.

But every 24 hrs?

And a full circuit of the country? Really?

I understand they do the occasional patrol, but there is no way they could keep those planes in the air and do a circuit of the country on a daily basis.

Where were you when the 'found' you?

They know more than you think. I've seen planes probably 3x out of 10.

You still have to clear out of your origin country, and you have to state destination. I think it would be very foolhardy and potential to be very expensive if you are caught deliberately trying to flout the system.

Given it takes several days to sail in / out of NZ they don't need to patrol constantly - they could fly the most frequented routes between NZ and Fiji, NC etc every 2-3 days and still pick up everyone because most boats take around a week to do those trips.

When we were pinged we were almost exactly half way between NZ and New Cal - Air Force Orion circled around us once at low level and then called us up on Ch16 using our name whilst they circled us again (they were able to read our name on their initial fly-by so had some impressively magnified & stabilized optics on board). They then flew off to the next boat which was not far away and repeated.

Given the current NZ Govt's stated focus on immigration threats (people & drugs) I envisage these patrols will only increase in intensity.

“We’ve just been fishing at the kings bro”

Na not worth it by a long stretch

And if your running AIS they will be tracking you the whole way

I've spoken to Orions twice, once i never saw them, but they still called us by name on 16.

The classic was off Ashmore Reef when an Aussie helicopter circled us twice.

The second time someone was giving us the thumbs up out the window.

Clearly a catamaran fan.