Motor woes. VP2003T

OK, I got a couple of hours today to have a further look. I drained the coolant, put a whole can of degreaser into it, refilled, ran it 10 mins, drained and flushed. The I used a holts coolant flush, ran that for 40 mins, flushed, refilled with coolant. Now I've just run the engine in gear at the wharf, 2000 rpm for 50 mins, and the coolant is clear!! :thumbup:

So, it appears as if the issue was the head gasket, but there was sufficient oil remaining in the cooling galleries to make it appear as if the fault was still there after replacing it.

The one final test is to go out and run the engine at full speed for maybe an hour, but I don't have the time for that right now.To say I'm relieved is certainly an understatement!

• Upvote 3

I once replaced the head gaskets of an Alfasud Veloce Sprint, after running it for a while there was a massive fog bank gathering behind the vehicle on it's first road test as the coolant vapourised. I was in shock, however, I persevered as I thought my job was completed correctly so I took it for a half hour road test and finally the fog disappeared and the vehicle was returned to the owner. It had me worried for a while though and mainly through an experienced service manager backing me meant that I didn't disassemble it again.

What about a cracked liner let’s oil into the sump I had a Bukh 20 in a townson That used to lock up sometimes on start up , took the head off Mew casket planed the head ,all back together A week later same prob . Sold the boat problem gone ,

What about a cracked liner let’s oil into the sump I had a Bukh 20 in a townson That used to lock up sometimes on start up , took the head off Mew casket planed the head ,all back together A week later same prob . Sold the boat problem gone ,

And you mentioned this to the prospective/new owner?

How long ago was this?

Just asking :)