inner forestay cutter rig

I have a removeable inner forestay which has a sail for it.  My question is wether or not its worth putting up? So all you experts out there please enlighten me.  efficientcy practicality go for it.

What's the boat?

Definitely worth it depending on the sail and the wind strength. Depends on how far forward it is. A solent stay is quite close to the forestay and a solent Jib is a very handy sail. We ran a no.1 on a furler and a hanked on solent Gib, made for a very easily handled sail plan.

If further back it will be for a stay sail or a storm Jib. Staysails are great for reaching used in conjuction with a larger headsail. The storm Jib pretty self explanatory.

The boat is a Southern Pacific 42.  Appears to have a staysail and maybe a storm jib. Although the storm jib might be from before the furler was put on.

From what I have read its not a solent stay as it doesn't go to the top of mast and is around half way between mast and forestay at deck level.

All good Sabre  :thumbup:

Yes we do have running backstays

So do you run both headsails ie the furler and the staysail together or is it just for big winds and just run the staysail/storm sail by itself ?

You can run them both together, works very well when reaching not so much when going upwind. Can really churn out the miles when you have a reefed main and two headsails up the front. Keeps the boat balanced.

Now it's been a long time, but iirc the raven has no fore and aft lowers, just single lowers from under the spreaders to the deck. And the spreaders are straight, so there is no fore/aft control of the middle of the rig.

The inner stay is not standard. It can be removed, but, especially in heavy weather, if the rig pumps at all in the centre, it should be put back. How high up does it attach to the mast?

Sabre you could ask on the Raven owners website. From the looks of the photos the inner forestay isn't needed unless deep reefed and/or for a storm jib.

http://www.ravenyachts.com/ravensdownsouth.htm

This might help.

Rigging. Class rules for rigging on Raven 26

All rigging to be stainless or galvanised wire

•  Side stays: Outer side stay to be attached within 460mm from the top of the mast to outer Ubolt held by chainplate mounted on the front extreme outer side of the main cabin bulkhead. One only inner stay attached to the cross tree height and to inner Ubolt held by chain plate mounted on the front extreme outer side of main cabin bulkhead.
  • inner forestay: At owners option. Not to be used for the hanking on of sails and to be attached no higher than crosstree height.
  • Forestay: To be fasened on standard forestay fitting on the bow and to the top of the mast, adjustment only by standard rigging screw.

OK, I'm now down at the marina doing a job, and there is a raven next to me. Are you talking about a baby stay, or a real inner forestay. A baby stay is what this one has, it terminates about 600mm forwards of the mast step.

If that's what yours has, it's there to stop the mast inverting, and should not be removed. In fact it should be the tightest stay on the boat.

• Upvote 1

The other great thing about a staysail is that if you have to deal with it, the sail is in the "middle" of the boat - rather than a genoa which is on the "edge".  Also with stronger breeze, it pulls the center of effort back which, in concert with a deeply reefed main or a trysail, makes the boat easier to steer.  I love my cutter rig!

Yes sounds like what you refer to as a baby stay. Just had a look at a couple of pics on my phone and it terminates closer to the mast than I realised. From the Raven site that willow posted it sounds like it’s optional but probably a very good idea

Had a baby stay on our R26. Never really was a problem, but our forward cabin was all sail storage and assorted junk. The mast does pump in a big breeze. 

The boat is a Southern Pacific 42.  Appears to have a staysail and maybe a storm jib. Although the storm jib might be from before the furler was put on.

From what I have read its not a solent stay as it doesn't go to the top of mast and is around half way between mast and forestay at deck level.

Slutter is what you have.

A removable inner forestay on a highfield lever.

As others have said keep it and use it.

Cutter without the primary issues of headsail chafe as the inner forestay can be stowed at the shrouds when not required.