The Barrots - Amazing cruising couple

Sorry spelling error - Barrott

https://www.setsail.com/noel-and-litara-barrott-an-iron-crew-in-a-remarkable-wood-ship/

https://www.cruisingworld.com/lessons-from-life-cruising

http://www.landlpardey.com/Where/2007/January.html

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/boating/9465652/Alvah-Simons-Blog

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/colin-mudie-53-1994/218140

From Sailing Anarchy:

"I have seen quite a lot of yacht interiors and cabinetry over my lifetime and each and everyone apart from the massed produced examples has its very own unique tale to tell.

Here is just one, Noel and Litara Barrott built this Mundie designed cruiser and circumnavigated.

In my opinion the whole thing works and works well."

zJAx1km.jpg

Lf5ySRO.jpg

768TMOc.jpg

7bj6dJp.jpg

DRPIpSl.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hah, think I scripted that.

Had the pleasure of a afternoon onboard with Latira.

Where does one start.

The yacht is Noel and Latiiras second and both are circumnavigators the first Masina is now located in Queensland.

I am a self professed woodnut and the Sina is beyond description from a skill based perspective.

There is a well known recollection when Latira and her daughter backed the Sina down a raging southern sea to successfullly pluck Noel back onboard.

Latira commented someone had to save this fool of a man who thinks of nothing but yachts.

• Upvote 1

I did some weather reporting to Masina when she sailed across the Tasman a few years ago ,when she was sold to au.

She's in Port Stevens.Modified Brooke design.

My father used to own masina he did many miles in her she was a rocket,tiny inside bucket toilet single burner stove.sailed like a dinghy i would feel confident sailing her into her berth.She almost sunk mid tasman when she sailed off a wave and the anchor chain jumped and blew a plank out.Dad was solo and had to pump for 4 days.He went back to steel boats after that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Stunning Interior and If I ever Built another boat, I would steal with pride some of her features. On the flipside if you like wood but not the maintenance that goes with it go for  GRP and then go cabinet maker crazy inside.

Plus a carvel hull in the 1990's ?? gawd if you are a fanatic wood- o- phile at least do strip plank or cold moulded.

30 hp seems hopelessly underpowered for a 53 ft yacht that must weigh 15 tons or more, I'll concede they have the track record to prove it was adequate, still 100hp sounds better :-)

From memory Sina is edge butt and glued not caulked ,regardless Noel and Litara have kept her in Bristol condition.

30hp is a bit on the light side agreed but she is getting about reliably and they attended a wedding recently in Samoa.

Noel is pure old school and no autohelm or self steering devices just hand on wheel.

Sina has been on the market for a while but many have and deep down putting age aside it will be a emotional parting for them once she sells.

True Native.

My old log of mahogany single skin edge butt and glued without glass is 45+ and you have to be vigilant in matters of maintenance but that applies to most craft.

Three skin kauri glassed done well like most construction methods makes for a great hull but I have seen some shockers as well. Differential materials and fresh water etc...

Yup ,wood means work but it is not the nightmare some make it out to be.

I did some weather reporting to Masina when she sailed across the Tasman a few years ago ,when she was sold to au.

She's in Port Stevens.Modified Brooke design.

Port Stephens NSW. ( corrected spelling). I told the owner about this thread, I could put you in touch if you'd like, WV.

On 2/06/2018 at 5:18 AM, Frank said:

Stunning Interior and If I ever Built another boat, I would steal with pride some of her features. On the flipside if you like wood but not the maintenance that goes with it go for  GRP and then go cabinet maker crazy inside.

Plus a carvel hull in the 1990's ?? gawd if you are a fanatic wood- o- phile at least do strip plank or cold moulded.

30 hp seems hopelessly underpowered for a 53 ft yacht that must weigh 15 tons or more, I'll concede they have the track record to prove it was adequate, still 100hp sounds better :-)

Erm, judging by the scantlings in the cabin photo she might be a tad more than 15 tons

4 hours ago, Frank said:

I think you will find Sina is edge butt and glued.

9F004416-827B-4D84-8869-AD9D9E175606.jpeg.6e79fd5b3e7e77c880e347f684ab669b.jpeg78B04FE6-BDFC-412E-94D4-79865B5FC486.jpeg.32a012cc5ddc17d8997821714515f83a.jpegF5560563-8B3E-405B-8085-8B2E8C0DA71F.thumb.jpeg.a427e2784a964fd7a67a9f6174a96486.jpeg

As a testament to Noels skills he cast all the bronze fittings.

1BD8B19E-FA6C-464F-8ED8-95541FA27A62.jpeg.0a467dc3f7990f835120e3fe8433834b.jpegHi