What do we know about the Elliott 1050’s?

Congratulations for surviving the trip and your rather steep learning curve

Wouldnt say it was a learning curve, we knew the boat was struturally good and had good gear.

The crew that did this delivery were very experienced in many ways to over come all issues thrown at them and they did an amazing job bringing her back in a safe manner.

It just would be nice to jave owned a boat for some time before doing a trip like this but then again the most prepared boats have issues as well.

I must say I'm marginally impressed that while plummeting, hand in hand with a 10.5mt yacht, you take the effort to suss the speed it's happening at, that's a tad hard core :D

The luxury of modern technology and you can look back at your history of every movement the boat has made!

Meanwhile in a different part of the world recently I happened to take a snap of a racy looking boat heading out for a sail from Sausalito, California. When I made it back home I showed it to He-who-knows-more-about-boats, who agreed with me that it looks very "Elliot-iish" and a search using the Sail number of the YNZ site confirms it is indeed an Elliot 1050 Basic Instinct. Anyone know anything about how it's in the States?

IMG_2890.jpg

Kick Update:

So she was in need of some much needed tlc, she was pulled out of the water the following week after arriving back in NZ.

Have since been working on the interior stripping all the varnish and made the call to paint out all cabinetry and bulkheads as most of the teak had water damage. Have stripped all doors ready to be re varnished.

Also the cockpit was swiss cheese with all the fittings that had been bolted over the years and the coamings were heavil rope burned. Have take this opportunity to have a fresh start and optimise the systems for short handed sailing as that is the manority of the sailing we do.

Photos show everything undercoated ready to sand and prep for top coat. The job list is still very long!

1FF726CA-BFD5-4555-9639-72B83382DF91.jpeg

4B18FEB6-FE75-4782-8ACA-16AB1509183A.jpeg

E28203DB-E4E3-44FB-8F5B-EFBF186A76C1.jpeg

6970ABCD-358C-46C7-8B35-058CB062189F.jpeg

I think started life as "Working Girls" and went to the states in the mid nineties, not sure who or why.

Have it in my mind for some reason it had been set up for charter work in the states but that's a very vague thought.

Meanwhile in a different part of the world recently I happened to take a snap of a racy looking boat heading out for a sail from Sausalito, California. When I made it back home I showed it to He-who-knows-more-about-boats, who agreed with me that it looks very "Elliot-iish" and a search using the Sail number of the YNZ site confirms it is indeed an Elliot 1050 Basic Instinct. Anyone know anything about how it's in the States?

Who said recently

Buy the best boat you can nearly afford, then start spending money on it.

Looks like you will end up with a very nice boat.

Who said recently

Buy the best boat you can nearly afford, then start spending money on it.

Looks like you will end up with a very nice boat.

Thanks, luckily she has all the good gear on her and thats where the big money is!

Pretty sure Basic Instinct was always called this and was last owned in NZ by Clive Davis or Davies (was Manager of Volpower). Sold to America where Clive and a mate of mine crewed on it in a Transpac. Signwriting still the same.

Nice boat by the looks, but good luck getting that price in today's market. She's a tough one.

just to be clear, she's not mine. just saw it on TM and remembered that there had been a discussion here about how few come to market...

Well, negotiations only ever bring the price down... What is probably more relevant is accepting a fair offer in this market, and what it actually sells for. Unfortunately boats aren't like houses, we can't look on some website to see what it actually went for in the end...