What do we know about the Elliott 1050’s?

I looked at several E1050's in Auckland about a year ago, Sniper is a class above them all, it has been well maintained and is well fitted out for cruising. It has a really good keel and goes upwind like nothing else. It wasn't for sale when I was looking, It was built as the plug for the production 1050s I think.

As I/we parted with the folding, I removed the old name... K8368, now Enigma1, is now operating out of Gulf Harbour. I also removed the wheel and restored her to the original cockpit layout, similar to when she was first called Expressway. The original owner was very helpful in making this happen.

Some new sails, and other adjustments, and some listening and observing, has provided for an enjoyable E1050.

Fantastic yachts around the cans, short or long haul circuits fully crewed or short handed, and a dream to cruise because of their hidden ‘large volume’. Very good sea keeping design that is quite capable of modestly sailing 200 Nm days and much more, if you care to dial them up.

Enigma1 has a Khan keel and rudder (sometimes referred to as Gen 2 keel and rudder, as I understand) and so, nil jandle. The keel and bulb appear similar, and the draft is ~ 2.3m.

Yes, thanks, I/we gave it a go, but the boat was never designed for that set-up, a nicely balanced boat that can be steered by your fingertips. The tiller gives you that sense of feel and control.

Where is Kick, which handstand, I’d like to come and have a look...?

I used to despise wheels, I even took the wheel off one boat and converted it to a tiller and are now thinking of converting it back for cruising. Now that I am used to a wheel I often prefer it especially running hard downwind. Seems to me Wheels are better downwind and a Tiller can often be better/more precise upwind

I think a lot comes down to size of cockpit. Wheels in small cockpits such as a Cav 32 are a pain. Hull and keel design play a big part in downwind handling in hard running conditions. I prefer tiller steering but then I have only had limited time on wheels. Have gone through Tiri Passage heading south in a fresh N/W with a wheel steer 40fter next to me and he seemed to be having to work bloody hard to hold his course. Guess all boats are different.

Yes, thanks, I/we gave it a go, but the boat was never designed for that set-up, a nicely balanced boat that can be steered by your fingertips. The tiller gives you that sense of feel and control.

Where is Kick, which handstand, I’d like to come and have a look...?

Kick is at Weiti hardstand, launching on tuesday