2018 Golden Globe Race

Cool. Any idea why the start was moved from Falmouth to Les Sables-d'Olonne?

The UK towns (Plymouth) wanted to charge $500,000 pounds as fees in relation to having the start there. Being a largely corinthian event (or being sh*t hopeless at getting sponsorship without any modern eletronic aids, like tracking, sat coms or live daily blog updates and video feeds) they couldn't afford to host the start in the UK.

The French ports (plural, more than one was happy to help) offered to host the start without charging fees for it. Funny how the french know a yacht race will draw a crowd and its good for their economy, where as the British just see issues / compliance / costs...

It doesn't matter what class of boat you race, as long as the competition is close. A fleet of H28s would have just as much fun as a fleet of sports boats. All to their own. Not everyone is into sailing lightweight rocket ships.

I wonder if the race organisers have made a error regarding no live broadcast footage.

In this digital age it seems to me that the audience would be far larger if they had done so from the get go.

Rustler must be happy.

A fleet of H28s would have just as much fun as a fleet of sports boats.

Hmm... Nothing to do with RTW, but personally I race an F16 catamaran, singlehanded with spinnaker. Sure, part of the fun is the pure competitive aspect, but a lot is the actual sailing. When it comes to fun, sailing fast on the edge of control, with extremely direct feedback from the elements, is a whole different thing. Combine that with the tactical challenges of racing and you have the perfect experience!

This guy knows a wee bit about yacht racing too.

http://goldengloberace.com/skipper/philippe-peche/

Its all horses for courses but for me Sir William Robert Patrick "Robin" Knox-Johnston ,CBE, RD and bar and the Moon landing were it as a 9 year old boy.

This race is more than a 6 knot journey down memory lane it has all the factors of sailing at its best, ok no 35 knot surfs ,ever cascading waterfalls and wipeouts in a carbon boom box deep in the southern ocean but these skippers will giving it their all believe me.