however having to sign in using a social media account????  Does this not concern anyone?   This may be a worthwhile system but how much of your personal data are you giving them access to??????

however having to sign in using a social media account????  Does this not concern anyone?   This may be a worthwhile system but how much of your personal data are you giving them access to??????

They get your name and an id number, plus your email and profile picture. They're simply using those sites to authenticate you rather than you having to provide them with a separate password and forcing you to remember what password you gave them. It's very secure and more for your benefit that theirs (imo, speaking as a developer).

It uses a technique called OAuth. I've used it on several of my own sites (though personally I always give people the choice of providing an email and password directly to my site if they prefer to do that). When you sign in they redirect you to the social media site to enter your credentials (if you're already signed in, say to facebook or twitter, you don't even have to do that). The social media site then redirects you back to the site you're logging in to with verification that you entered your credentials correctly so you can be signed in.

(Though I noticed they currently have a configuration problem with their twitter set-up, coincidentally one that I had to fix on one of my own sites recently due to a minor Twitter policy change)

Thanks for that MarkMT that explains it nicely.  I guess I'm just wary these days of how much we sign away to the likes of google and facebook,  it seems that government snooping these days pales into insignificance to these guys.   Maybe I just need a tinfoil hat lol