The Confessional....

Trying to beat the weather last week, mixed up a quick batch of west 105 for a deck repair then noticed after a day or so it had gone yellow! It also remained sticky so assumed moisture had got to it. Nope. Went to do another job just now and grabbed the same two containers, different sizes so assumed resin and hardner. You guessed it, mixed two lots of hardner. I just love boating.

20180717_121814.jpg

Would never happen to me. I never make mistakes.................. :roll:

I mounted a jam cleat the other day with a riser?? (adjusts the angle of the cleat to the deck where it's mounted) - did a magnificent job. Left the jammer sealant to dry, went back to boat and tried it out with the appropriate line - and I had the angle back to front...............sigh. Still, no-one was watching and you guys are good at keeping secrets. :wtf: By the way - that sealant really works, was a bi&%c to get off. 

Oh, and I've also never dragged anchor, hit a dock, dropped an outboard in the water, lost an oar (while rowing!), watched my 'securely' tied dinghy drift off into the distance, fallen between the dinghy and the boat, gone away on hols with empty gas bottles etc, etc........ ;-)

• Upvote 1

I have not done any of that either - nor have I ever grossly misdiagnosed

an engine problem at some considerable cost, lost a halyard inside the mast,

hit a ruin clearly marked "ruin" on the charts, dripped wet epoxy on my beard, . . 

I could easily go on and on, but am starting to weep. 

I never put petrol in the diesel tank.... thats just dumb. Even if it was only a litre or two before i realised i never did it.

When I was young whipper snapper working on the Grampians Station, saw a tractor engine totally destroy itself after someone, not me...honestly! put petrol in the diesel tank. They can't be stopped, just rev like all hell until parts come flying off in all directions...spectacular!!!

Was not watching at the gas station,went to pay for diesel, 150lts bit of a surprise when the girl said $380,yep had to call Mr Sucky out,now truck stops only.  Worst part is the next driver did exactly the same thing.

Sh!t. In Opua, after a season fighting our old lucas made capstan, we decided to go to a maxwell RC10. Had to move the samson post aft and put the windlass where it was as there wasn't enough room forward. Yesterday brought aboard the rode and needed to manually wind in through the gypsy the bitter end...you guessed it, the handle hits the sampson post!

I have never had the MH Genniker up too long in a nice breeze approaching Bean Rock fast with the wife and kids on board and ended up with such a bad wrap that the forestay required removal to get the sail off.. And thank God there was no-one there to take a photo.... 

Gennaker wrap...jpg

Worst one I have done relates to an awkwardly located pipe clamp that I needed to detach and replace.  I determined that if I slipped with the screwdriver there was a high probability I would stab myself.  Thought about grabbing some vicegrips, but I was semi-wedged in.  Proceeded without vice grips, making sure I had my other hand clear.  Subconsciously moved the free hand in to help, slipped the screwdriver and stabbed myself between my thumb and first finger to the bone at the bottom of my thumb.  Dragged myself out onto the deck and lay down as I was about to pass-out.  Had an operation a few years later as I had rammed some skin cells down to the bone level that somewhat inconveniently decided to continue growing and were creating an ever increasing lump.

One of my favourite tools - small Husky ratchet, the one with a 1/4 drive on one side and 1/8 on the other.  Plastic bar with the relevant 1/8 drive sockets.  The only tool used for Jubilee clips.

Places like AES & maybe General Marine sell a thing like a flexible screwdriver with the hose clamp size socket permanently on the end. Works in really shitty locations & round mild bends, saves a lot of skin. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure of confessing somebody else's sins counts, but if it adds to the thread....

A few years back I set off for a weekend away on a mate's launch. We arrived a the Havelock marina quite late on Friday night and decided to fill up with fresh water before we headed out. In his tired state my mate managed to fill the diesel tanks with fresh water! Needless to say we spent all of Saturday at the dock pumping the fuel tanks. The only redeeming factor was that water and diesel don't mix well, so we were able to salvage most of the fuel. Lesson learned.