Best/easiest wet Random orbital for shell bases/smoothing hard AF

For $199 may get you a dedicated sanding system from a Hirepool like place for 3 days.

Maybe worth a quick suss.

What you seen there is an orbital sender, very low rpm. I found the "random orbital" sender lot more effective, something like in the Mitre 10 website, or if you are not in a hurry from Aliexpress. 6" pretty much standard size and paper available widly in different price range. As Crazy said light as possible. 

What's wrong with wet sanding with a pole. Don't they allow that at Westpark, same guy owns Pine Harbour and we wet sand. Don't know if they have upgraded the catchment at Westpark. Just requires sanding pads and a bit of effort.

Would you use an electric sander wet sanding?

Too right, just wrap the entire sander up in a plastic bag same one as your beers come in you know doubled up and the added bonus is the yard nazis will not give you any grief about dust issues and your sanding pads will last for yonks :thumbup:

Wet sanding with a pole will give you a good finished surface to apply antifoul. It's how you apply the antifoul that gives the level of finish. Just sanded mine a few weeks ago using a pole and wet sand. When the boat painter had a look at my prop and prop shaft for propspeed application, he had a good look at the bottom prep and asked if I wanted a job so it can't have been too bad.

My AF is west + Cu, hard as the hobs of hell!  

I have a bit of orange peel that I would like to remove. i will try a pole but am sceptical.

Also  have a fist full of electric tools but all have short comings like no dedicated vacuum skirt.

Or if i use wet, I guess I could use an  isolating tranny on downsteam side of the rcd. So then it will sh*t itself internally instead of through me.

I think I better wait until the stasi have paid a visit tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions.........gives me options.

Would you use an electric sander wet sanding?

Did that in the "bunker" at halfmoon bay hard stand. Risky, one squirted the other sanded and job took little time to do but they had drain collection to get the waste water. Pole sanding will create dust and wet sanding runoff. Making a sand dam to collect it would probably be acceptable but the only way most(?) yards will tolerate antifoul removal now is vaccume sanding although tarps on the ground and tungsten scrapers are used here and Opua and really do rip the sh1t off but pick a day with no wind and someone with strong arms!

I should clarify we are only sanding ablative antifoul with the pole/drywall sander. I don't think it will work for coppercoat or hard AF

If the yard you are hauling out is agreeable like Norsand, they will haul you out on the friday and leave you on the grid over the weekend to wet sand as all the wash goes into their drain system. Best thing about hauling out in a cradle!

• Downvote 1

They're pretty lenient out at Westpark/Hobsonville as long as you dont draw attention to yourself.

Last time i was there, there was a bloke who dry sanded the bottom of our 42fter for $150 cash and did an ok job.

I hate sanding with a passion so went for that option.

Am I allowed to start the Festool vs Rupes arguement here!

Definitely wouldn't want to be using these sorts of power tools to wets sand.

Had Rupes and they are not as good as they used to be 15 years ago (i suppose neither am I). I would not buy another one, and I'm in painting business...

Why would you use wet sanding when Festool(Rupes) comes wit dust extraction? Pick  a multihole sander with suitable paper and off you go. There will be some dust but its a helluva quicker and cleaner way to sand the bastard....

I got the Bosch version of the fancy Festool/Rupes random orbital whatsit after advice from serious users and it was 1/2 the price @ 6 Hundy.

I've been very impressed with it. It has a very good dust extraction system, I've recently paired it to a Makita VC25 dust extractor/vacuum cleaner. They make a magnificent pair.

I went with the Makita after advice from everyone I spoke to who said it was the best one when working with Carbon dust, which I have a bit of and apparently is a particularly tricky dust to deal with.

But wet sand with it? Not unless I'd hired it from someone, I certainly not doing it with mine :)