Boat show aftermath

What a lot of people don't realise is that a large number of yachts on the harbour are worth a lot less than a second hand car.

Interesting with yacht price,how they have fallen to give away prices,yet the trailer power boat holds it price and fuel going up all the time. Now are trailer boats preferable now days due to low maintenance no mooring fees,lack of spare time etc???

Interesting with yacht price,how they have fallen to give away prices,yet the trailer power boat holds it price and fuel going up all the time. Now are trailer boats preferable now days due to low maintenance no mooring fees,lack of spare time etc???

I have been kicking around the idea of a keeler (Davidson 28 or similar) for years to replace the runabout parked in the drive. More or less decided not to and the main drivers are the costs around berthing / mooring and rules around DIY maintenance and antifouling etc. It all looks too hard and likely to get harder. I doubt I'm alone...

I really like the melges 32 and flying tiger concept of lifting keel on a trailer . Really competitive boats for the Everyman slot in NZ fleets and you could land one here for under 100k . If you bought the F10 in Aussie currently for sale for 38k it would be well under 100k . Wouldn't work for everyone but I'm spoilt with an excellent cheap facilty for parking trailer yachts at our club .

As for trailer tinnies and some glass boats it seems to be a rite of passage for tradies to get a wopping great tinnie and one hell of a tow wagon , most of those boat / wagon combos would be worth 200k and there's hundreds of them up here in northland . it's definitely a growth industry right now .

I really like the melges 32 and flying tiger concept of lifting keel on a trailer . Really competitive boats for the Everyman slot in NZ fleets and you could land one here for under 100k . If you bought the F10 in Aussie currently for sale for 38k it would be well under 100k . Wouldn't work for everyone but I'm spoilt with an excellent cheap facilty for parking trailer yachts at our club .

As for trailer tinnies and some glass boats it seems to be a rite of passage for tradies to get a wopping great tinnie and one hell of a tow wagon , most of those boat / wagon combos would be worth 200k and there's hundreds of them up here in northland . it's definitely a growth industry right now .

Yeah I guess you can service a decent loan for the price of a marina & the increased costs of  maintenance on a boat living in the water.

Yeah I guess you can service a decent loan for the price of a marina & the increased costs of  maintenance on a boat living in the water.

definitely. 10m berth + annual antifoul, what, maybe $8k? call it debt service on $80k?