Insurance

AMI cover our little tri, whether at home, moored, or on route.

I tried the call centre and the website which were no help, but when I walked into the branch it was done in minutes.

The only caveat is that I need to tell them when I switch from trailer to mooring. Which I'd better do, meant to be launching late next week

as vorpal was saying the other day

racing "cat" insurance is largely subsidised by all those expensive new factory cruising "cats" 

who's careful owners pay lots of high premiums and hardly ever claim 

"tri's" on the other hand 

are either raced or homebuilt to varying standards (hard for accessors to access) 

and simply don't pay enough in premiums to make the classification 

profitable for insurance companies

was a continual complaint of the late great ian farrier

sic jacinda's new pricing commision on to the insurance industry b@$t@rd$

but even then

the effort isn't worth the votes

So, I've managed to find myself a trimaran but am struggling to find anyone to provide insurance.  Apparently Vero don't underwrite trimarans anymore.

Any suggestions please?

Cheers,

Dave

I found Pantaenius Australia a right pain - wanted a survey before they would even consider - Topsail (via Baileys ) did the trick but is getting harder each year - I think the International market has taken a hammering with hurricanes in the Carribean and it will take a few years for Insurance companies to claw their losses back - meantime they sting everyone hard each year ....

Thanks Paul (assuming that's right), I've tried Bailey's with no luck unfortunately. I'm currently waiting on Chris at Marsh to see how he gets on. It seems as though the relative!y small number of multis, and particularly trimarans, has an adverse effect on the risk assessment for the type of boat proportionally.

It would be beneficial if the industry would identify the particular risk for insuring a multi so I could exclude it. As an example, I've told all the brokers I've spoken to that I'm happy to exclude capsize and breakage if that helps, I just want cover for things like theft, fire and damage due to external factors. I'd assume that these are the 'normal' risks for insuring any boat.

Reading over the above seems like a bit of a rant! I'm new to yacht ownership so learning as I go. Some lessons not to my liking though...

Cheers,

Dave

One strategy that worked for me was to bundle all my insurance requirements (house, car, contents, boat) and shopping around with the proviso that it's all or nothing.  Obviously this won't work for the dedicated marine insurance companies but it sounds like they're not interested in trimarans anyway.  You need to carefully consider the policies on offer by non-marine insurers but it sounds like you're willing to forego the contentious aspects (racing, capsize).

Pantaenius could be an option for a bigger boat

Pantaenius are about as useful as tits on a bull.

They wanted my mooring poles surveyed annually. Even after I explained they are 1 1/2 foot thick poles of less than a few years old...

Not to mention they wouldn't even give a price without a haul out, survey and rig inspection.

Pantaenius's replacement of old for new clause only covers stuff up to 2 years old. Misleading advertising at its best.

We ended up going with Mariner, or Marine or something, based in Chch. They did have some peculiar requirements, but didn't need a 'condition report', and were a fraction of the price of most others. They did state that the 'condition reports' that all other ins co's required (the ones that can be done by a boat builder) are a waste of time for assessing condition and risk to the insurer. They use qualitative assessments like reasonable, good and fair condition...

Thanks Veladare, I tried Bill at the Marina Shop but he met with no success unfortunately.  Nice of him to try on my behalf though.

Used the magic search and found a crowd in Hastings that had "trimaran" as part of their advertising spiel.  Again, nope.  Don't trust the Googles people...

Thanks Tiger, you've nailed it with the tri averse aspect of all this malarkey.  I don't think I'm being unreasonable in what I want the insurance for but I'm finding the "yeah, nah" responses a bit disheartening.  For me the biggest worry I have is total loss, I'm happy to wear damage etc. from using the boat, and if that means I screw up and tip it over then that's on me.  Should some geezer come by and T-bone the boat on its mooring then I'd want to be covered. 

On 11/10/2019 at 10:59 PM, Dave said:

Thanks also Fish, tried Mariner Marine in Ch.  Underwritten by Vero so no guesses as to the response.

Hi Dave,

Where did you get your insurance in the end?  I had to go overseas to get mine insured as nobody in New Zealand would even quote me.

Hi BR,

Sorry but for some reason I'm getting notification of these posts quite late, odd. 

Insurance, what a palaver!  Tried every man and his dog here in NZ but as you've found out they won't touch trimarans, must be hugely frustrating for you as your boat has been tarred and feathered by some random trimaran risk factor that doesn't really apply, in my opinion.  I couldn't even talk them into waiving the capsize or breakage clauses, which I thought was the worst risk for my boat.

Ended up going with Northernreef Insurance, who are run by Edward William, a Spanish crowd.  They were pretty good, prompt and I thought reasonable - NZ$1200 for the usual fire, theft, damage etc., as well as coastal out to 100nm, racing and solo sailing cover.  That was all good until May when I got a nice email to say that their underwriter had gone belly up so I was now uninsured.  But wait!  There is another company willing to take me on, for a reduced premium of NZ$588, for the remaining six months of my policy.  Excellent I thought, through mentally gritted teeth.  No real choice but to stump up the ponies but not very happy.  Also the internets search I did on Edward William wasn't super encouraging regarding them honouring policies.  Still, I'm insured I guess and fingers crossed I'll never have to lodge a claim.

Sorry, rant over.  Who did you find might I ask?

Cheers,

Dave

12 hours ago, Dave said:

Hi BR,

Sorry but for some reason I'm getting notification of these posts quite late, odd. 

Insurance, what a palaver!  Tried every man and his dog here in NZ but as you've found out they won't touch trimarans, must be hugely frustrating for you as your boat has been tarred and feathered by some random trimaran risk factor that doesn't really apply, in my opinion.  I couldn't even talk them into waiving the capsize or breakage clauses, which I thought was the worst risk for my boat.

Ended up going with Northernreef Insurance, who are run by Edward William, a Spanish crowd.  They were pretty good, prompt and I thought reasonable - NZ$1200 for the usual fire, theft, damage etc., as well as coastal out to 100nm, racing and solo sailing cover.  That was all good until May when I got a nice email to say that their underwriter had gone belly up so I was now uninsured.  But wait!  There is another company willing to take me on, for a reduced premium of NZ$588, for the remaining six months of my policy.  Excellent I thought, through mentally gritted teeth.  No real choice but to stump up the ponies but not very happy.  Also the internets search I did on Edward William wasn't super encouraging regarding them honouring policies.  Still, I'm insured I guess and fingers crossed I'll never have to lodge a claim.

Sorry, rant over.  Who did you find might I ask?

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave, Here is a fantastic company that has served us in a homebuit Trimaran for the last three years. They do off-shore coverage for us. They can write strict Liability Only as well as Full Hull Coverage policies for our 19 year old hull. It's a Markel Policy and held by JackLine. I would contact these folks to get underwritten,,,, www.gowrie.com/jackline

Rachel Sloan | Jackline Account Manager

Gowrie Group | A division of Risk Strategies

rachel.imis@gowrie.com

522 Chesapeake Ave, Annapolis, MD 21403

p: 410.364.7707  f: 410.827.3758

www.gowrie.com/jackline