Coastal Classic

How does a kite surfer get CAT 3?

Where does the put the liferaft?

Flares?

Does his LJ have a light on it?

Infact, navigation lights?

presumably that's why the dedicated chase boat is there.

Ah ha, that could explain my current WTF in trying to work out who some of the mystery craft are.

Remember when the guy at rnznsc had the 18 footer "wang"and reckon he could beat the record as long as it was a reach

presumably that's why the dedicated chase boat is there.

I'm assuming these aren't official entries?

I've no problem at all with a 'rogue class' or development class or whatever you want to call it going for a fang up the coast, but there are any number of craft that could smash the course record if the entry requirements were relaxed, especially CAT 3 and the associated weight of kit, need to carry and engine and comms etc.

Many of the light displacement and sports boats doing the race right now would have a major advantage if they had a chase boat to carry all the clobber. Not to mention the likes of the current foiling cats in Auckland, GC 33's etc.

Then you can open it up to any of the performance skiffs, not to mention a foiling moth.

Certainly if you drop the entry requirements, it would be open season on the race records.

I don't think results are populated yet. Half the fleet are still racing...

I've been looking at the two links below, being the radio sked one with finish times, ant the 'results to date without all finishers' page.

https://www.topyacht.com.au/db/aus/sched_log_view.php?ev=107.101.107.1.919&schedSessId=29

https://topyacht.net.au/tyres/Controller/RrRoute.php?dbid=44

I don't think results are populated yet. Half the fleet are still racing...

I've been looking at the two links below, being the radio sked one with finish times, ant the 'results to date without all finishers' page.

https://www.topyacht.com.au/db/aus/sched_log_view.php?ev=107.101.107.1.919&schedSessId=29

https://topyacht.net.au/tyres/Controller/RrRoute.php?dbid=44

Many thanks!

Def a lot colder sitting on starboard rail!, but not as sunburnt.

Finished at 0230 and was very pleased to before the change of the tide.

Good to have a different kind of coastal I guess, and good having lots of boats to play with the whole way to the finish rather than absolutely noone within sight.

Bowman was def getting bored though the middle stages

Some interesting results. Looks like it was a bit of a lottery. Interested to have some feedback.

I thought the results looked like they favoured waterline length.

Interested in others view on that?

Fish yes that is true, but we beat Georgia One and Titanium, so you still had to choose your lane out of harbour, around the Hen and Chicks and into the Bay.

It was more tactical than many probably expected.

But a lottery is most def wasnt

Not a full lottery, but a tough one for the smaller boats to do well in as the wind died and tide turned meaning they got stuck in the bay.

We had an enjoyable sail up on That's Amorè with sun, flat water and a steady breeze.

Could have used a code zero once past the hen and chicks as the breeze clocked aft a few degrees and the boats around us unfurled theirs and took off. Had to console ourselves with a roast lamb dinner which eased the pain of not having a code zero considerably.

Fun team on board and we were happy with the result in our first decent outing in the new boat.

Fish yes that is true, but we beat Georgia One and Titanium, 

Were you on Young Guns?

I've always wondered if the prod is long enough on that boat... Guess the gennaker is handy for holding weddings under though.

Freedom Coastal report

As far as an upwind coastal went it wasn't bad. 

We got a crap start after a discussion about start times on the boat. 

Then just ducked Pulse in time to see the whites of Tim C's eyes ( sorry tim).

We elected to short tack up the north shore and then around Whangapoaroa in flat water and had used up our coastal quota of tacks ( 5 tacks allowed for coastal) by Tiri.

There was a discussion that Bon accord was looking pretty good if we weren’t laying Kawau!!

We were going pretty nicely at 10’s – 12’s flying a hull working through the leaners.

Just one hitch that we lost the masthead halyard out the back of the boat, oh well, we’ll grab it later in a tack. Wups forgot to grab it, Wups forgot to grab it again.

It then became a lay to Flat rock, which turned into a lay to Cape Rodney and it was all pretty pleasant with the water flattening out and solid 8 / 10 knots of boat speed.

We were right next to Exodus at Cape Rodney with Tigre not far ahead when the breeze  lifted and they both horizon’ed us as they cracked off.  

We peeled to the fro which felt pretty good and lifted to Whangarei heads.

Somewhere in here the tail of the masthead halyard fell in the piss and pulled the halyard to the top of the mast, F$%K !!

Around sail rock the wind lightened and we decided we needed that masthead halyard. So Liz ( all 67kg of her) volunteered to go up on the fro halyard with a  boathook and have a crack at retrieving it, in around a 1 metre sea, Kudos!!.

This was unsuccessful as everytime she hooked it the boathook got shaken off and the bloody thing dropped back into the mast from the weight of the rope.

After 15 minutes of this poor Liz was pretty battered at the top of the rig and we gave up.

Hmm ok plan b what do we do now ??

So we headed high behind the hen to some flatter water and lighter breeze, dropped the main, headed down wind and try on the main halyard.

This worked really well except poor Liz was getting really battered on a swinging rotating rig.

We were back sailing again within 5 minutes and had the masthead zero up 10 minutes later.

She’s a top foredeck that Liz ( but not bright no way you’d catch me up there J). More Kudos !!

After the hen n chicks the breeze progressively got lighter as the rich got richer and the poor buggers at the back got knocked in a dropping breeze.

Cape Brett at midnight was a sight for sore eyes, followed by a light kite run into the bay where the large leaners caught us.

The race had a final kicker right at the finish when the wind went right forward. For us it wasn’t too bad as we just pulled the kite right in and went low. I heard it screwed up a few people though.

Then a few rums and a feed with the multi raft up and gosh what’s that light stuff in the sky? Why are the tui’s all waking up?

Oh its dawn, ok bedtime.

6th multi overall

2nd 8.5 multi

3rd multi under 10 metres

Not bad for a 40 year old girl

IMG_20181022_202004_313.jpg

IMG_20181022_202351_689.jpg

• Upvote 4

Were you on Young Guns?

I've always wondered if the prod is long enough on that boat... Guess the gennaker is handy for holding weddings under though.

I think Veladare was on clockwork.

Mean Streaks Mean Drift up the Coast:

Hard out 8 weeks of prep almost completed in time to head down to Westhaven  Thursday afternoon for briefing. Bugger - blowing from exactly where we want to go, so long motor and missed briefing. (I say almost ready as when off watch during the race approaching Sail Rock I took the opportunity to wire up the new gas bottle cut off solenoid in order to boil some water for the chicken cup-a-soup  ;-))

Met with my mates Joel and Reece and new rent-a-crew Irene at the Squaddys cooked breakfast, us Sussing her out to make sure she knew what she was getting herself into and her making sure we had no more than the standard amount of fingers etc.

Quick stop at the market for some paper plates and we were off, having waited patiently for out 5th crewmember until we were practically the only ones left in the marina  :evil:

With said crewmember being a no-show we headed out to the start, butterflies going hard with all the traffic and the prospect of an on the wind race on a 930 down on keel and rail weight... prudently ignoring No Worries and Pepe and concentrating on Hotdogger as our main competition.

We elected to ignore the crowded boat end of the line and opted for clear air and flat water at the Devonport end, this paid off with us port tacking a substantial percentage of the fleet, popping out into Rangi Channel to windward and ahead of a lot of quick boats  :thumbup:

We quickly realized a couple more people on the rail would have been handy and had to basically stop to put a reef in our ridiculous fat head 90's style main, after breaking the tiller extension uni fighting weather helm. With a reef in we were as fast but with a manageable helm so set off trying to regain the ground lost. Seeing Hotdogger tucked away well to leeward we threw a tack in off Gulf Harbour and headed up to the Tiri side of the channel, laying right through to Sail Rock on this board with the slightest of cracked sheets to keep speed up. Some boats went for Zeros and footed for speed, some squeaked up high to go behind the Hen and Chicks but we just shook the reef out and sailed between Sail Rock and the Hen.

With night falling we heated up some stew and scoffed a quick feed, the dying breeze prompting us to discard the 110% and go for "Old Floppy" (our 100 year old ex Fast Company threadbare overlapper and nearest thing to a code zero on the boat)

As night fell and the breeze steadied off to around 8 kts we were going well averaging between 5.8-6.8 kts boatspeed and began reeling in sternlights.

A last minute decision to squeak up and around Piercy just after 0430 gained us a few more spots then it was Fractional Gennaker in a rapidly dying breeze. As the sun came up we did a rockstar peel to Masthead Spinnaker which wobbled us along on about 1.5-2kts of wind from the North. With Fog rolling down the hills from Pahia it was back to the Genoa and breeze patch hunting. Things got worse the nearer we got to the finish, with glass out conditions and an outgoing tide it became a frustrating game of cat and mouse with Oracle, Us, Duty Free, Waka and Waka Huia... with the last three rapidly gaining in the last minutes  :cry:

Success though and the most welcome horn toot I've received for some years! Ended up 4th on line and 5th on PHRF in division 5, crossing the line in 23 hours 32 minutes. Debauchery began almost immediately as expected and the best bit was leaving the boat on a friends mooring and heading home Sunday at 100kph VMG!

Coastal 18 Start.jpg

Coastal 18 North Head.jpg

Coastal 18 Sail Rock.jpg

Coastal 18 Tapeka.jpg

Coastal 18 Finish Drift Off.jpg

• Upvote 3