Hauraki Gulf Moorings

Pink Caddy

HAURAKI GULF MOORINGS STATUS

Initial success with all the moorings except one now cleared from Woody Bay, Rakino. The remaining mooring has been approved by ARC, but is subject to an Environment Court appeal entered by barrister Richard Brabant for AYBA, supported by the Gulf Anchorages Protection Society (GAPS).

GAPS and others are now working with the Harbourmaster and ARC to have all illegal moorings around Waiheke and in Mahurangi Harbour identified and removed.

WAIKOPOU BAY

An application for Resource Consent has been lodged with the ARC by Waikopou Lodge Ltd for two swing moorings to be established in Waikopou Bay at the Eastern (bottom) end of Waiheke, close to Man o War Bay.

This application needs to be opposed with the same vigour as the Woody Bay application.

The application can be viewed at:

http://cananz.org.nz/Waikopou.pdf (2.7M)

The summary and submission forms are at:

http://tinyurl.com/waikopou

GAPS - GULF ANCHORAGES PROTECTION SOCIETY

GAPS are developing a website at:

http://gaps.org.nz

If you wish to be informed, please email Tom:

mailto:t.miller@auckland.ac.nz

He will include you on his email list for newsletters.

ACTION PLEASE

Please circulate your club members and encourage them to place a submission.

Nah, you really don't have to oppose moorings as long as you don't want anywhere to anchor around Waiheke because every bay is cluttered with moorings that the locals seldom use.

Allow one in and you have the precedent that ARC has to allow anyone else wanting one too.

Nah, you really don't have to oppose moorings as long as you don't want anywhere to anchor around Waiheke because every bay is cluttered with moorings that the locals seldom use.

This assumes that every Waiheke local is poised waiting to plonk one or more not inexpensive to build moorings that they have no intention of using into bays around the place just so they can piss off those awful boat owners who come and anchor from time to time (once they've jumped thru the legal hoops and cost of a resource consent application, of course). Is that really the case?

I'd be brassed off if I lived on Waiheke and some muppet from Auckland prevented me from having my boat on a local mooring just because they may or may not choose to sashay down the harbour in their gin palace and pump their sh*t and lemons out all over my local bay when they felt like it.

Is this issue a real concern or are our infoils hats on a bit tight?

Just asking :eh:

Anyone know of a good little anchorage in the central Auckland area that I can use when I visit that isn't all fecked up with swing moorings, marinas and jettys etc ???????

Strange that someone coming from that environment would think that different values should somehow apply in other people's communities. :crazy: :D

Archived