Dyneema Rigging

mcp

There are performance and cost advantages, but seeing as people expect their standing rigging to last at least 10 - 15 years it is hard to imagine Dyneema lasting the distance and there is the chafe issue.

There is also the question of whether an insurance company would cover a rigging failure if it was Dyneema.

I suspect most would prefer to stick to tried and tested wire\rod or carbon for the well heeled.

....the first lot on cruising vessels have now crossed the 10 year mark...

Chafe has turned out to be far less of a problem overal which is why logging companies are using it for ground 

snigging timber !!

...and the long keeled heavy cruising yacht next to me has spectra / dynema on its caps and D2 as well.

The newer fittings are easy to use and you simply back splice the rope. 

A jacket is usually only put on a section say from the lower spreaders down. 

Greatly reduced weight and higher strength.

I think you will find that its here to stay.

It had a set of 'kevlar' but it stretched massively. It was then discovered it was only kevlar coloured something lowish tech, probably polyester. It was changed.

I think the name you are after is Paul Myer. I shall speak at him to see what he knows.

Thanks

The rig actually seems really solidly built and in good nick but it is getting a bit long in the tooth now for Dyneema if what you're saying about UV degraded strength is on point

Have commented before on this - P’zazz has dyneema rigging which was replaced after 11 years (2 years ago)still in good order . The weight saving is significant but as already pointed out you need to be careful of chafe so maybe with an overlapping Genoa could be an issue but with self tackers fine .

Good stuff these days is pre stretched although after big loads initially will probably need re tensioning . Fantastic stuff and similar cost ( in our case) to S.S. Don’t know why more boats don’t use it - My insurance was happy to let us get same age as S.S. out of it before replacing .

I'm using Supercable, a dyneema over dyneema. There are a lot boats with that on them now and 2 more by weeks end. It is fully compliant with YNZ Safety Regs, something many fibre lines in use aren't but most of those are still probably OK from a users point of view which is the most important aspect.

We changed to Dyneema "Supercable" this year of Oliver Sudden.  The lifelines were due.  Spliced by Andrew at SailIQ, sourced from Chain Ropes and Anchors.  

Light weight.  Easy on the Hands.  Looks great.  And the best bit is; if the lifelines need to be removed to maintain stanchions, simply pull the line through.  No cutting swaged wire rope... 

With over braiding or sleaving, it's best to have it body hugging like lycra on a hot 30yo rather than granny stockings slumped down around her ankles. If it's body hugging it will be obvious if issues are arising, grannys stockings hide spooky very well.

Can I get you to clarify this a little further, please?   I just got lost when the mental images happened?!

I mentioned above a boat who uses Dyneema shrouds. In those it has a section that goes around a decent sized sheeve when they want to adjust the rig which is fine.

Canting rig?

Are you allowed to name the boat or do I need to try three guesses?

Would like to second what KM said about the cover - needs to be a tight fit so you can see exactly where any abrasion is occurring - in our case we have a dyneema sleeve which wasn’t a lot cheaper than the actual shroud but the last cover lasted 11 years and nowhere had it worn through so well worth it and underneath everything was in mint condition even after all that time.

Our inners don’t have any protection except a UV paint as the cap shrouds mainly protect them from abrasion.

I just asked the manufacturer. His eyes went wide and the words 'Is that still on it, bugger me'. What was used? 'Ah, some sh*t we found after the previous cock up' (which was thinking gold fibre means kevlar). Judging by the surprise it was still in use I'd take that as sail soft while considering replacement options.

But the same knutter was in discussing fibre rigging for his soon to be relaunched after a huge rebuild mono. We are going to try a LL SK99HS, a genuine dyneema. I'm hesitant but he's keen so we'll see around Feb next year.

Bugger, not so reassuring! I might take a section off and get it load/break tested. Can you help with that KM? As I said it looks in good nick