Jesse James - $1 reserve

All about what the market wants to buy and willing buyers I guess. 

To be fair to the majority of punters this is not their first choice boat.  They would rather buy something shiny with a name that starts with J or B. 

However I'm wondering if selling a boat just before Christmas is the best idea?  A good Christmas present for someone though!  Have not seen this boat in a while but I'm guessing she will need quite a bit of work to get her race ready? 

From the TM and brokerage listing details she presented well and was maintained by a owner that obviously need to quit in a hurry.

Kinda rocks your boat considering the broker had it listed for $149k.

Like the Marshall she was on the market for quite a few moons and the owner pulled on a pair of ten gallon testicles ponied up and has 57k of reason to move on in life.

Crikey you would be a bit green round the gills if you only got $1 though.

What a deal!! I guess the in-line rig put a few people off, but they are not that hard to keep upright and offer much better sail control than the swept spreaders. The ugly bowsprit probably didn't help either, but this is the buy of the year. Crazy price for a good boat.. Nice one Cameron!

And roughly how many of their boats are currently racing in NZ?

Numbers are a different thing. But for current NZ designers, Shaw and Bakewell-White certainly top the list.

My perception is the good competition racing has dropped from A div to B div, into that length bracket around JJ, including the likes of Clockwork (B-BW) and Anarchy.

But looking at the BoI RW entry list, A div is well populated, but you need a TP 52 or close variant.

The proper racing (Island Racing A) is heavily dominated by that other NZ designer, Elliot. Easily the heaviest domination of any division.

I see other imports feature highly, such as the Ker 40. I can only assume there is a line to 'cost effective' Ker 40's out of the Oz (Sydney?) racing scene?

Surprisingly, and to dent KM's theory, there aren't a great deal of Beneteau and Jeanneau's. A few in Island Racing B.

Overall, it looks to be a mix of NZ designers from the modern through to the classic (i.e. Townson), and a reasonable amount of racing imports, Ker 40's, Tp 52 variants etc. Certainly not dominated by European production boats.

https://bayofislandssailingweek.org.nz/entry-list/

For Bay Week, we’ll (Ross 40) be in Island Racing again this year - already entered and have been put into B this year which will make a nice change. In the past we have had a good mix of cruiser racer type boats in A with us at the smaller end. There have been two Ross 40’s in A for I think 2 of the last 3 years with Urban Cowboy and ourselves.

We don’t bother with the Windward Leeward racing as we feel we really need a more polished crew, there is too much potential for things to go wrong in big breeze as we found at the Jack Tar a few years ago. We tend to sail with friends and a few young sailors - Passage is a pretty chilled and fun affair. Not to mention spectacular.

In terms of pace we are behind the E12’s (eg Bullrush) and newer Ross 12 (PBF) but we can generally match the 40 up to 45’ late model import production boats (cruiser racer types) around a track unless there’s a lot of breezy upwind or tight reaching - when the waterline and extra beam really come into play. Lawless would be the exception, she is quite a bit quicker.

It does make for a big bunch of closely matched boats in the racing we do.

• Upvote 1

Back again... https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1961257225.htm

Flipped or original sale failed?? What's the goss?

The owner passed away during the auction last time and they weren’t happy with what was offered so they pull it, not sure if that was legal but also not worth the cost of fighting it.

Hope they get offered half as much this time

I see it’s fix price now

Funny boat as it’s a race boat that’s fitted out as cruiser

Expensive to run and not heaps of cruising room

Kind of the worst of both imho