Manson Supreme 25

I'm looking at replacing my Manson 40 plough on my Farr 38 with a Manson Supreme as the plough tends to skip rather than dig especialy on hard packed sea beds. It's on 40 metres of 10 mm chain, but I may be able to buy a 25 rather than the recommended 35 which doesn't fit in the locker. 

Would the 25 have superior holding to the 40 plough? 

We had a 35 lb plough. I replaced it with one of these modern new fangled anchors. After spending the $$$'s, I took both anchors down to the beach at low tide to see how they set.

I dragged the plough up and down the beach in a massive figure 8, walking pace. Couldn't get it to set to save myself. I had had a sneaking suspicion that every time I anchored, the boat was just hanging on the chain on the seabed. Despite careful best anchoring practice, I wasn't ever sure the anchor had dug in, this beach at low tide exercise (same sea floor as most bays I park in around here) proved my point.

The new fangled anchor set in 1 anchor length. Same ground as the plough that wouldn't set at all. It was diving deep and digging in. Now when I set the anchor on the boat, the boat stops. Like backing down on a brick wall. I actually make sure everyone is sitting down in the cockpit before backing down now, the boat can stop fairly abruptly.

So I would say you could go a size down on a modern anchor over a plough. As far as I can tell, ploughs rely on total weight, not shape, for setting and / or holding. I'm not familiar with the Manson Supreme though. We got a Sarca Excel, #4, 16 kg, for a 37 ft 7 tonne boat. Supplied by some dodgy place on Auckland's North Shore. I'm sure a regular poster will be along shortly with more details.

PS, I wouldn't want this post to be construed that I have every actually listened to KM, or taken what he said seriously...but I am very happy with the Excel, and it is night and day better than a plough.

Edit, photos added

Excel.jpg

Plough.jpg

I'm looking at replacing my Manson 40 plough on my Farr 38 with a Manson Supreme as the plough tends to skip rather than dig especialy on hard packed sea beds. It's on 40 metres of 10 mm chain, but I may be able to buy a 25 rather than the recommended 35 which doesn't fit in the locker. 

Would the 25 have superior holding to the 40 plough?

Absolutely. Head and shoulders above.

I use a rocna 20 (old, nz made one) on island time, 40 ft, about 8 tonne loaded. Sets as described above. But I’d have no issue with a Manson supreme or a sarca excel either. Modern anchors are just way better. No way would I consider going back to a plough. Of any size.

No chain required I see, bloody miracle wonder these modern anchors.

Went Sarca Excel and retired stainless CQR to the bilge as spare.

Pretty damned grippy without dredging up seafloor and burdening capstan.

Seen a bucket load of my testicles are bigger than yours anchor tests but the winner in my view was Panope on SA.

Set off a boat and filmed in action not sunbathing on a beach being towed around by a Massey Fergusson.

As above with a note, if it is only for attended anchoring, 25 is fine, however if you want to leave the boat alone on anchor for extended period (I mean the boat is not in sight for a day or so) I would be more relaxed with the 35. In case of insurance involved. According to the anchor selector on Manso's website I the recommended size was 35 for me. I put my faith on a 25 for Topaz (even it isn't fit through on my locker hatch), she is around 4.5t with moderate windage I think boat length is not so relevant. If it is the first time when you try the Supreme, or Rocna you will be impressed.

Another vote for the Excel, we have a N04 (16kg)on LadyHawk, which I is soooo much better than the CQR that it replaced. No contest at all.

Digs in very quickly and sets off on its way to china the harder you pull on it. Thanks to the team at CRA for supplying, now however, I wish they would sell the Mantus dingy anchor... :thumbup:

Manson supreme 25 works for us. Had some issues getting it to set on 15m of 8mm short link and warp so went to that same dodgy anchor and chain place on the shore who sent us another 15m of maggi chain and joiner, bloody brilliant. Anchor sets first time instead of towing it all around the bay. Big....as in lotto winner boats.. seem to do well on the old Bruce. Way to big for us.

You wont regret the Excel, it gives us so much confidence that were securely attached to the seafloor. When we set it, there's no doubt or nagging what ifs... to be fair, we are comparing it to the previous anchor which was a huge CQR that would drag or not set with any authority at all. Sometimes the CQR was good... the Excel is great all the time.

The Manson and Rocna are probably just as superior to the older styles, I just don't have any experience with those, mate of mine with a Bene 45 first, has a Manson on it, loves it.

You wont regret the Excel, it gives us so much confidence that were securely attached to the seafloor. When we set it, there's no doubt or nagging what ifs... to be fair, we are comparing it to the previous anchor which was a huge CQR that would drag or not set with any authority at all. Sometimes the CQR was good... the Excel is great all the time.

I can second this. Like I said earlier, I get everyone to sit down in the cockpit before backing down now. If I've only got chain out, it really is like backing into a brick wall. 25 m of chain, then 100 m rode, so for short lunch stops etc in 8m or less of water (i.e. most of the time) the boat snatches up on the excel sharp enough to knock the kids of their feet if they are just standing.

I specifically got the excel so I can sleep onboard with the bids onboard, without that nagging feeling of 'did I set the anchor properly, did it bite in, will I drag out of the bay at 2 am if the wind backs?... kind of stuff that stops you having a good deep sleep on the boat.

Oh, and on the pricing, I've never understood how CRA price the Excel. All I can say is go in and ask them, in person. Not phone. Not interweb. They might be able to explain their pricing better than I could.

• Upvote 1

Just one question Grant. Anyone tested the SIDE holding resetting abilities of anchors? The CQR is the only one that has a pivoting shaft that would allow the blade to remain set without pulling out when wind veers or backs? All others would be prone to pulling out then resetting?

I’ll forth the Excel

We are on the cusp of a 4 or 5, the 5 when CRA gave me one to try to see if it would fit was too big and the point hit the stem of the bow

I took it back and got the 4, at 22kgs or 48lbs and being 50’ plus recommended for 12 to 15m, we are 15.3m we are possible under anchored

We are also 10mm chain and on the cusp again for 12mm.

Old plough let go once on us with the admiral on board so upgraded was ordered

Proof of holding, being the finish boat for the SSANZ CRA Enduro last April anchored in Port Abercrombie off Nagles Cove in 20m of water with 40 gusting 70 knots

Rock solid, we did have 100m of chain out but we held station overnight and most of the next day.

Only problem we have had is when it’s been gusty from different angles and not been able to put enough chain out due to not enough room between other boats

, then it will drag sideways reset and do it again until we get into less water or I put more chain out.

Funny thing- welded up homemade Bruce while at Marsden pt. Towed behind tractor in wet sand, dry sand- she just skated along on top. Thought dang it, got galvanised and has provided faultless service ever since. Best ever.

Im a huge bruce fan sat down stewart island for 3 days once blew like stink chain was bar tight for the whole time,took some getting out,I do have a manson supreme 25 as a back up works really well too.Have dragged a plough around enough anchorages to not really trust them.worst i have seen was a chromed plough on a flash launch,wouldnt grab no matter what they did.