2019 SSANZ Round New Zealand race

Does "suspend racing" have special meaning under the race rules or does it just mean a boat has decided to seek shelter for a time. Are they allowed to use their motor at all during this period, e.g. to help navigate into a safe anchoring location?

Yes you may suspend racing at a fix point then motor to shelter etc

You must return to that point before you commence racing.

The clock keeps ticking but you can do what’s required in a safe and seamanship manner

Yes you may suspend racing at a fix point then motor to shelter etc

You must return to that point before you commence racing.

The clock keeps ticking but you can do what’s required in a safe and seamanship manner

Thanks.

Seeking shelter until wind drops a little

Skins said the sea state on the corner was heanus, forecast to be 17kts with waves as high as second spreaders, layed flat at the tops but becalmed in between with deep reefed main and #3 or less.

From the tracker it didn't look like Titanium were too tight on the corner either. I'd imagine being close in (as it seems Motorboat have been) and having to shelter would be an unpleasant decision to have to make, big water -  stuck up against an uncaring lee shore... talk about between rock and hard place.

More like between rock and cold place

They are all complaining of the cold on the skeds this morning, I warned them but they just said I was soft.

Summer in the southern ocean ain’t like summer most of us know.

So we have Titanium, Motorboat 11, Krakatoa, Coppelia and Galeforce all now safely moored in the bay with Arbitare and Katana still to come. Competitors have been great so far and have all finished in daylight ... so far. 

And yes it is freezing down here - our SSANZ Baltic PFD jackets are coming in very handy to keep that cold wind out. 

Now it's time for the prod replacement and sail repairs to start. 

• Upvote 1

Most people are getting all the jobs done on the boats so we can do some stuff over the next few days. Looks like we will restart on Saturday. Super cool place.

Very challenging leg getting down here. The first half was great but the last part was hard work. Either no wind and a massive swell or 40+kts. It took us 3 days to cover the last 200nm. I have never suspended racing before but we did it twice on this leg and sheltered for a total of 13hrs. It's not a place we wanted to have a broken boat stuck in...

On a positive note, after breaking our prod some miracles happened and between NZ rigging, Gurrit, and AJ Reid a brand new prod was delivered to Stewart island completely free of charge for us and actually beat us here. Quite unbelieveable really.

• Upvote 4

So what's everyone up to down there for the next few days?

Trying to stay warm!!!! 

Seriously we have loads of activities lined up with the locals - a visit to the school, as well as helping the kids build and race cardboard boats, prizegiving and BBQ at the Community Centre (did someone mention blue cod and crayfish???) The local garage has offered up cars for us all to use to see a bit more of the island, as well as the Krakatoa crew rented electric bikes to explore for a few hours. 

A few sail repairs are required so Skinner the sailmaker is busy with that and Bart from NZ Rigging arrives shortly to start more work. 

Some of the race management team and Coppelia shore crew managed to get out fishing before the fleet arrived and got a great feed of blue cod.

Once again the Stewart Island hospitality has been amazing - the leg trophy is proudly on display in the Four Square, each boat has a local host that's looking after them (including providing a bed for some) and this amazing part of the country has been so welcoming. If it wasn't so cold I'd be happy to stay here!!!

• Upvote 4

I was going through all the RNZ you tube clips today, quite impressive the vast majority have over a 1000 views.

Great for a non professional race, also value for those who choose to help the crews. Also for those of us that would contemplate this race in the future.

Well done to all making this happen.

• Upvote 2

Leg 3 and 4 have been setup on YB Trackers as seperate races due to a bug in the mobile app

If you are viewing on a mobile IOS device you will need to add the next two legs as individual races

Over 5000 unique followers watching the first two legs

• Upvote 1

Just a shame the mainstream media choose to ignore this race. The participant numbers may be small but the achievement is huge.

Over 5000 unique followers watching the first two legs

I'm not fussed about mainstream media coverage. At best you'd get 30 seconds at the end of the 6 pm news. Does anyone even watch that now, or are we all still sitting in traffic? I'm not sure why you'd watch the sports news, its always about a professional sports man, normally rugby or league, too thick to get a professional job, who has either got a massive contract, lost a massive contract, or got caught doing something really stupid in a toilet with someone that wasn't his wife...

From a media point of view, there is nothing unique about the race. Its been done before, there is no single one big focus of attention (i.e. it goes for over a month, but there is no 'grand final' or anything) etc. And there is any number of endurance challenges type events around NZ. Its not even the most active thread on crew. Its a slow burner. No disrespect to the scale of undertaking here intended - this is purely a precise of main stream media interest.

However - for potential marine industry sponsors, the social media is target rich. Social media can target the exact demographic marine industry sponsors want to reach. And the boaties following this race is huge. Refer Jon's comment - 5,000 unique follows on the tracker. Thats the tracker sponsored by Vinings Marine Brokers, who, I'd like to think are getting the exposure and profile to make future sponsorship an economic reality.

The same for Bart at Kiwi Rigging, the story of the prod getting to Bluff - you can't pay money for publicity like that. The flip side of course, I am interested to know who supplied Katana's new mast, but its the putting right that counts and I can understand why details like that wouldn't be communicated widely.

And there are many others - the suppliers of the nice warm jackets the race team are wearing in bluff. A single FB post, but people read it and take note. (I take note of who sponsors my yacht club, and these sorts of thing).

The effort boats and crews are putting into comms. Comms off the boats are worth massive followings and $$$$. Booboo is the king of that, but Coppelia has full sat phone coverage, some of the stories and photos off Gale Force, and updates when in cell range, etc. the extension of this logic is the pro single handed Vendee Globe types. Should be busy sailing the boat or sleeping, but they are regularly doing blogs, video updates etc

If anyone was volunteering to prepare content, video, audio etc for media, I'd think the return on effort is in getting it into social media platforms and not main stream media. That is what develops measurable 'clicks' that show marine industry sponsors this is target rich with the exact demographic that buy their stuff. 

• Upvote 1

Nigel and Cory got a new mast?

Why?

It fell down. Last year, or before that. Before the Trans Tasman solo.

I'm referring to the mast track issues they've had on this leg, on what is apparently a not old mast.

I could of course be badly misinformed, and happy to be correct if I am.