Dinghy / Tender recommendations

AB hypalon would be our best in NZ now, Caribe is now defunct for sales in Auck, so yeah Id go AB Hypalon. Not cheap but very worth it. Thats a small tender so shouldnt be too much. Im more a 12ft kind of guy as I spearfish from it. Ive been out from north auck to little barrier in mine and never had an issue. There is an Achilles full rib, trailer, motor auction in Canterbury at the mo. Too much hassle.

For such a small tender they have quite a sharp entry which is good for the chop, this is the glass model, which really is quieter than ally, just heavier. https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/dinghies-rowboats/inflatable/auction-1821698053.htm?rsqid=ca45a1920c4e4463b131548a18db4161

This is the Ally version, same price. And imo boats always have wiggle room on asking price.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/dinghies-rowboats/inflatable/auction-1821697694.htm?rsqid=f7dadfe750b84cb3b1429da005cce7de

If you are in NZ perm or for a while, Id just keep a look out on trademe for hypalon inflatables used, you save half the price for a 5yr old boat that has at least 20 year life span, vs poly which lasts 10 years max uncovered. I know of some Avon RIBs that going strong at 40 yrs.

For example this force 4 looks like its just been refit with new hypalon tubes (always ask who did the refit), boat, engine, trailer asking $2800, rego and wof trailer looks good, prob $1200, engine would sell for $1k. The tender for free ;-p. But in this case its a 3.2m, I dont know if you can move your davits.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/dinghies-rowboats/inflatable/auction-1908469859.htm?rsqid=f7dadfe750b84cb3b1429da005cce7de

Also search in the MOTORBOATS sections of trademe, I dont know why but some people consider a 9ft inflatable a motorboat lol. But usually larger ribs etc.

Briggs is a good brand, avon, aquapro SMR models made with hypalon are good (but most choose the cheap PVC option so be careful, you can tell by looking through the valves, I forget the colour of hypalon inside, google it).

Southern Pacific have been around a long time, not sure if they do hypalon. I wouldnt exclude a french made Zodiac cadet either. Not the PVC ones. This one is all 2014, trailer, 9.9HP Honda 4 strone and 3.4m Zodiac cadet. asking $6400. The engine is $3k new, the trailer about $2k. https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-1908328673.htm?rsqid=25f554d1d72d4db789427fce1db37395

highfield are imported by AAkron I believe. no comment.

best wishes.

Was your old tender a RIB or a SIB (soft bottom)?

There is a 2.4m Achilles SIB on trademe.

Personally, RIBs are a LOT more comfortable for longer trips, but at 2.4m its kind of negligible, 10ft and over you notice it more.

So unless you want the very best Id go with a reputable used model. Or a cheap reputable PVC like achilles or aquapro. Always keep PVC covered. If you have it uncovered or towing then hypalon all day long.

Always had French Zodiacs that don’t row with joke rollicks, they are now Crapnese manufactured.

Achilles aren’t sold here sadly as they are a quality product although expensive.

http://www.inflatableboats.com.au/hb-270-al

Kiwi OC tenders are impressive and impressively expensive at 7k +gst for the baby one.

Southern Pacific are in the Kiwi Yachting stable and appear popular with decent wooden oars.

I am contemplating a new build Townson 2.4m old school that’s permanently rigid and seal proof.

What ever happened to the unreal "force4's" We had one, got it second hand off Darrel Hayter and someone thought it would look better on the back of their boat one night. Best dinghy I've ever had. Moved to a southern Pacific after our aakron litterally melted and fell apart and 2 years now, no problems, good warranty but those force 4s were brilliant. A neat idea being able to slide the pontoons off the alloy hull for repairs.

While I'm a huge fan of Southern Pacific, we have a 5.5mt that is A grade awesome, there is also Seafarer Inflatables.

With Mr Seafarers history (he was St Pac) his product will be right up there with Southern Pacific

+1 for Seafarer inflatables.  Neil built a custom 2.4m RIB for us in 2015 and it has been awesome.  He used a newer material that was better than PVC but cheaper than Hypalon.  I think his website calls it TPU (Polyurethane)) - it's the grey fabric in his photo's.

They must be gaining popularity as there were four of us with Seafarer dinks while we were pulled in at Coromandel - all of them made with the same grey material.

I just broke a row lock on my Southern Pacific. So, it looks like whatever you choose spare rowlocknis necessary.

This is the last straw for our southern pacific SIB tender (2.4) as it doesn’t handle the smallest of chop and everyone gets a wet tush. We can’t do a RIB as foredeck space is limited so pack down for stowage in the cabin is the only option.

I’m looking at Takacat 3.0 LX to replace it. Does anyone have any views on these?

We got our Maxxon retubed which was kind of ok but finally gave up, poor quality fabric, ss fittings all rusted and most glue lines started leaking in a few years. Was going to cost around 1.8k for another retube so we went all plastic, a Mac 270, durable and unsinkable. It had factory fitted wheels and I fabricated davit attachment u-bolts with Alu plates for extra support. Verdict: a little on the heavy side but with an outboard I reckon it is a very good option.

We were in Oneroa on the week of 7th Jan but are back in AKL now. The registered name of our boat is "Straycat III" but the name printed on boat is Straycat only, must be another one with same name printed on hull. UNLESS some bugger has decided to take my boat for a cruise, I must check on it  :| 
I do recall seeing Gale Force some where in our travels through last 2 weeks.

I’m looking at Takacat 3.0 LX to replace it. Does anyone have any views on these?

The newest ones are good,  don't get an older second hand one.  But get the sports version for cruising,  the LX is not much easier to get into if you are free diving or scuba. The sports version is a drier ride and both are surprisingly a dry ride....even when it's choppy

Random comment, but are you in oneroa Straycat? Look to your left, I’m on Gale Force...

There is a cat next to us called straycat. Guess it’s a common name?

Random reply - Hi we were the Stray Cat anchored next to you Oneroa at the weekend. Thought there were two of us but now we are three. Must have had kittens.Apologies to OP for interrupting.Cheers