Proper butyl bedding tape supplier....?

Hi you helpful lot.

Anyone know who supplies this unctuous stuff in nz?(see photo)....its not the self amalgamating sort electricians use (coax seal) nor the foam-backed, or net-carried stuff that cant be moulded into any shape or form...its just the stuff like blu tack, but WAY more sticky...

I can get it for $50 (NZ) a roll from USA, including shipping, but only if I buy 4 rolls. Seems a bit steep. Anyone know a local supplier?

20170809_124402-01.jpeg

Thanks CH but that's not it, either. Click on the link and you'll see the dreaded net carrier that stops it being mouldable...that stuff's good for sealing two flat surfaces to each other, but not for (eg) countersunk bolts, in deck hardware...

DENSO BUTYL - CORROSION PROTECTION - PRODUCTS - Tapes Plus

https://www.tapesplus.co.nz/shop/PRODUCTS/CORROSION+PROTECTION/DENSO+BUTYL.html

??? They have a "Denso Butyl Mastic StripA permanently plastic (non-hardening) mastic, mouldable by hand" tape.

I can suggest trying Noel at Norsand Boat Yard? He's a wealth of knowledge.094308485.

Try blackwood paykles/nz safety next to trade surplus in whangarei, you might get someone that knows what they're talking about. Otherwise bunnings, where I get normal denso but good luck with anything else.

I bought mine from the USA. Got half a roll left after doing the toe rails. Is that enough to be useful?

Yep that would help me complete current watertight repairs, for sure! PM me phone number and how much you want for it/payment details, and I'll organize payment and pickup :-)

https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/

Any idea what makes a butyl formulation more suitable to Marine use?

Read this from the manufacturer mentioned above: " After this article was published, we were forced to develop a marine specific butyl based hybrid elastomeric sealant that was specifically formulated and tested for marine use. The product is called Bed-It Tape and can be found in the;  Marine How To Web Store. Hamilton Marine and Marine Outfitters in Canada are also distributors of Bed-It Tape. Sales of Bed-It Tape directly fund this site and keep it free. Please understand that despite our use of the word “butyl” Bed-It Tape is not a standard “butyl-tape”. Bed-It Tape is a hybrid product utilizing Compass Marine Inc. own proprietary formulation"

On 28/01/2019 at 9:18 PM, Yourmomm said:

I can get it for $50 (NZ) a roll from USA, including shipping, but only if I buy 4 rolls.

That is about what I have paid in the US. 

The stuff is magic and goes a long way. 

Give the extra away to your friends and they will worship the ground upon which you tread.