Queens Wharf Dolphins - Give us more ammo

Best to house them in the one facility and return the open space to a public hard stand so boaties are not being continually financially strangled by Orams and Pier21.

Mwahahahahahahahaha

Return it to a public hardstand space for DIY boat maintenance, hmmm, or something that makes millions of dollars, like apartments?

You do understand its Punuku that makes these decisions right? The development company who's sole mandate is to make money?

I love positive thought, but I think you may be disappointed. Better to get out protesting now.

PS, is that Infidel in that photo?

We had a win in the Council Chambers today YA HOO!!!!!!!

But still only a skirmish, all beit a big and key one, in the bigger war.

It's been a good day for Auckland marina users. Not just the berth users or the clubs in them but everyone who lives by them and uses them in any form, even the drunken hookers out there on U ;)

It's been a good day for Auckland marina users. Not just the berth users or the clubs in them but everyone who lives by them and uses them in any form, even the drunken hookers out there on U ;)

Any chance of specifics?

KM I suspect you were referring to this meeting (specifically agenda item 5.2)?

http://infocouncil.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/Open/2019/03/PLA_20190305_AGN_6742_AT.PDF

But as minutes haven't been published yet can you tell us what happened?

From that Document that Aleana linked:

Auckland Marinas.JPG

Really? I thought Gulf Harbour, Westpark and Halfmoon Bay were privately owned?

Certainly Council owns land around some of these marinas but not the marinas themselves?

From that Document that Aleana linked:

attachicon.gif Auckland Marinas.JPG

Really? I thought Gulf Harbour, Westpark and Halfmoon Bay were privately owned?

Certainly Council owns land around some of these marinas but not the marinas themselves?

Like wise I thought Milford use to be owned by North Shore City Council?

GH ownership & control is a v complex affair even more so with recent land swap deals giving the council full control of the hammerhead in return for handing over the rights to the marina to GH holding company. But there are still long-term leases involved and separation of land vs seabed etc etc. Only in NZ! Bottom-line, AC are still all over GH marina like a rash.

It's a complex situation with bits sticking out here there and everywhere.

Yes that was the Council meeting yesterday at which our team tore them a new one as the strategy the council was being told to ratify was written by someone who could only answer 'I dunno' to every question around the strategy. Basically our lads stopped the council, ratifying a plan that would have seem most marina users, on the water and around the edges, shafted in favour of Panuku and it's developer mates, like Empire Capital.

We stopped the process dead and basically reset it to he start again. Now we have to continue the fight to get into the workshops where the Akl Marina Strategy will be created. We were so close after one of the PCC lads, Ron, reminded Phil Goff he said we could have input. He said 'I' don't think so' but Ron pulled out a letter Phil wrote saying we could. But then the workshop chairman, Chris the prick Darby, said 'Na, no public allowed' and blocked us again.

So the war continues, and probably will until 2026 when big things change in Westhaven, Orakei marina and bits of others. But we've won some good battles and stopped what was going to be a total disaster for marina and water edge users...but bloody good for the apartment developer mates of Panuku.

Basically all we are fighting for it to have input into the Akl wide marina strategy and not let it be developed by dodgy vested interests and council staff who have no idea what they are talking about.

We want tenure for all the users around marina like the Clubs, schools and so on not to mention the berth holders. We also want to run Westhaven for the users of it, not as a profit centre for Panuku. We want a not for profit Charitable Trust, which includes Reps from the YC's, berth holders, Iwi, all the users around them and even Reps from the council itself. The council rains ownership, the Trust runs it. Any profits to be ploughed back in to boating.

It's hard to writing all that's gone an going on down but I can assure you people are working damn hard over long hours to keep marinas for the local users and Westhaven in NZ ownership. We are fighting a well funded arrogant secretive mob more than willing to be dodgy bastards to get their way. We are not going to let them do that without one hell of a big fight and as they have seen over the last 2 months we are not to be taken lightly.

If you have 30 minutes buy me a beer and I can fill in a lot more, the above is more a deep scratch than the full load.  If yo do be preprepared to shake your head in disbelief and get grumpy at how your rates are being wasted by dodgy SOB's.

Ownership of marinas has a bit of input, Empire Capital and Panuku being thick as thieves. The Strategy cover the general plan for marinas and most importantly what happens around them. So the ownership while being a input is only a bit of the big picture.

• Upvote 3

Ron and Michele Copeland for those who don’t know them have for decades tirelessly and selflessly dedicated themselves to protecting and preserving the right of the common people to access the Waitemata Harbour against a ever rising king tide of avarice from both private interests and the ACC.

We all owe them both a huge debt of gratitude.

Many moons ago they were pivotally instrumental in saving the entire POAL assets from falling into the hands of private interest when they convinced the then Devonport Mayor to vote against the proposal to divest the public of ownership by cashing up Port and handing every rate payer 3k in return.

I remember well this lolly scramble move was broadly supported by the Whiteware Manfacturers Assoc.

Successfully lobbying to have the land surrounding Westhaven Marina locked up securely in perpetual public ownership list highly in my opinion as yet another example of their tenacious pursuit of justice on our behalf.

Well done.

Ron and Michele Copeland for those who don’t know them have for decades tirelessly and selflessly dedicated themselves to protecting and preserving the right of the common people to access the Waitemata Harbour against a ever rising king tide of avarice from both private interests and the ACC.

We all owe them both a huge debt of gratitude.

Many moons ago they were pivotally instrumental in saving the entire POAL assets from falling into the hands of private interest when they convinced the then Devonport Mayor to vote against the proposal to divest the public of ownership by cashing up Port and handing every rate payer 3k in return.

I remember well this lolly scramble move was broadly supported by the Whiteware Manfacturers Assoc.

Successfully lobbying to have the land surrounding Westhaven Marina locked up securely in perpetual public ownership list highly in my opinion as yet another example of their tenacious pursuit of justice on our behalf.

Well done.

Oh hell yes. If it wasn't for the work of those 2 Westhaven could, most likely would, be in foreign ownership today.

Ron and Michele are the ones who got Helen Clarke to put in law Westhaven must stay in NZ public ownership, via the council, in perpetuity. If they hadn't most agree it would be offshore owned by now. There was a incident a couple of years ago when Panuku seemed to have forgotten that Document exists and tried to say it didn't. Ron keeps copies of everything so he graciously gave them one. Take that you sneaky pricks :) :)

Another of our 'dynamic duo' is Tony Skelton (RNZYS). Him and Ron (PCC) have bashed heads in the past, big time but in this they are like twins, much to many peoples surprise and now Panukus terror. The pair are doing seriously hard yards and are devoting more time to these things that most people work each week. These 2 are all over the council with regards to marinas, wharf extensions (the dolphins) and the St Marys bay Panukus plan to pour raw poohs into the Waitamata when tilting the pipe 5 degrees the other way would see the poohs go into the large interceptor under Victoria park and then on for treatment.

Both have wives who must be incredibly tolerant, and are know to pass comment on the lads continue work, more than a few and a lot lately we do seem to be experiencing a moment of peak Panuku :)

Richard Steel from the Auckland marina users Ass, a legend of a man.

Euan and Barry from the Westhaven marina users Ass.

Richard Brown (yeap the ex YNZ lad) man did he put some big yards into the Wharf extension and is not credited as the first person to use their kids lego to demonstrate concepts in the Council Chambers :)

Then there are some of us Flag officers who are using our teams to support these lads. We've also submitted, spoken and been used as expert witnesses and so on.

There is quite a team and it's a tight team on a mission. We are very lucky to have them.

And ALL the Westhaven clubs are working so well together on this. Old rivalries and wankery is out, fight tight against a common enemy is in, it's a wondrous thing to behold and a great thing not only for Westhaven but all users of Auckland waters.

• Upvote 4

With the exception of the wharf extension, it seems this is all being fought (and fought hard) in the shadows and away from the eye of the general public.

Would a higher profile of this issue hinder or help the cause?

KM welcome to democracy in action.

Maybe you may one day choose to sign up become a card carrying member and vote.

During the fight to secure Westhaven in perpetual public ownership by ACC via the Government the “sales” pitch Ron,I and others of the merry band used was the bastards are gettable whilst private ownership locks out the publics best interests forever.

Crikey how the worm has turned you say Ron and Tony Bombastic Skelton POAL no1 fanboy battling together for a common cause well I never would have believed that.

KM welcome to democracy in action.

Maybe you may one day choose to sign up become a card carrying member and vote.

It's the lack of democracy we are fighting.

A few 100,000 voted in the last council election.

Well less than 1% of those have been and are 'in the face' of the council.

Which one of those groups is actually making change?

Maybe if voters were smarter and some how did find a way to be effective then we wouldn't have this fight.

Crikey how the worm has turned you say Ron and Tony Bombastic Skelton POAL no1 fanboy battling together for a common cause well I never would have believed that.

You and a hell of a lot of others :) :)

With the exception of the wharf extension, it seems this is all being fought (and fought hard) in the shadows and away from the eye of the general public.

Would a higher profile of this issue hinder or help the cause?

Only help I'd think. That is a big part of this while thing, stuff is happening, and it's huge stuff, due to decisions made by a handful of the bureaucracy without input and often even knowledge of the elected councillors. Most are sh*t scared of Panuku and those that aren't seem to have absolutely no idea what they are up to.

They are very good at creative i.e, using tame sounding 'Dolphins' not scary 'wharf extension', which was what I went after 1st in the hearings, then how they relied so much on a report that assumed a cruise ship would use a 'sea anchor' to hold it by the wharf.....hello, if the report writer doesn't know what a sea anchor is then how can they write a informed report.

And all of this is not only happening to water users and the like. My Bro in law is right up there in a footbal club in town, a big name one. Panuku has told them they are putting a bike lane in, fine......until you see it is to go thru the middle of one field and across the corner of another. Panuku fail to see the problem with that. The bridge skywalk, we have plans that show the western 1/2 of roundabout out in front of the PCC/Buoy cafe will be raised 1500mm for that end of the bridge walk thing. The problem there is the eastern half remains the same. That's gonna break records as NZ largest judder bar.....not to mention a sh*t load of suspensions.

Grrrrr.......... frustrating but that does make it a little extra special when we get our wins, all be they skirmishes in a far larger and still going strong war.

The real work and costs will begin after the ACC appointed so called  independent commissioners deliver their decision some 20 days beyond this weeks end of hearings.

Appeals then can be lodged in a 15 day time frame.

Access to supreme legal weight needs to be in place along with deep pockets and those involved need to both structure and steel themselves against the very real possibility that if the appeal fails the other side may well pursue a claim for costs.

That is assuming like many past examples that these type of applications are just sham proceedings.

Fullers chief executive Mike Horne acknowledged February was tough, with the increase in cruise ships having a huge impact.

"The size of the ships - and, for us, where they are parking - so for the first time this year we've seen two cruise ships in the ferry basin itself.

The arrival of a cruise ship would shut down the ferry basin for half an hour and the knock-on effects could last all day, he said."And then on two, three other occassions a third cruise ship in as well, including Ovation of the Seas which sits just off the end," he said.

"Then we have to move all the ferries that are stuck in the ferry basin which takes 20 minutes and then we have to move all the ferries that are stuck outside of the basin which takes another 20 minutes.

"So if any other those are happening in or around commuter times, that puts us out in terms of our schedules for the whole day," he said.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/384271/delays-confusion-as-auckland-ferry-competes-for-space