Cyclone Rene photos - 130 K winds - Tonga direct hit - photo

We were in Vava'u Tonga for cyclone Rene. The eye went directly over head giving us about 1.5hrs of calm to re-fresh the chafe gear and move people on and off the boats. Then the wind reversed direction and kept up for another 8-10 hrs. All in all it took about 24 hrs for the system to pass.

I went around before hand and took photos of every mooring line set up in the harbor. I posted a few that worked and a few that did not. Here are some photos of the day.

SANY0463.jpg

baro.jpg

SANY0556.jpg

jaz2.jpg

The rest of the collection can be seen here-

http://www.tongacharter.com/cyclone-rene.htm

Were adding to it by the hour as more photos come in.

Scott

Ys, he certainly needs to pay a bit more attention to his boat methinks. Hope it's not badly damaged. Any word on the Pulapaki? I heard it sailed from Neiafu just before the cyclone hit.

Thanks for asking.

Baker's boat has been drug off the rocks and seems to be fine except for some minor damage. Amazingly lucky.

The PP ferry did indeed pull in to the harbor a few hours before the winds hit, and dropped an anchor. When the wind started they drug back and began motoring through the night in a pattern through the harbor. Scared a few people, but they did great. As the eye passed they tied to the pier and sat out the north blow. All in all it was a job well done.

Scott

PS- I added a new set of photos this morning. Also the tower on top Mt. Talau collapsed in the storm.

After a bit of thinking, would I be safe in regarding the mentions of "drug off" and "drug back" as the past tense of dragging, rather than the illicit substances so beloved by some on this site? :shifty:

Very interesting reports and photos, forecasters in NZ seem undecided if we are to get all, some or none of the effect down here.

Incredible! I can see it was gnarly but I doubt photos can ever give us the feeling of what it's like to be in a storm like that. I can't imagine it. I've been out in 50 knots and I was scared! This must have been worse. Awesome shots and thanks for taking the time to let us know about them.

Archived